Rodents

enzoom1

Hmm ok.. so really we only can get the "stock" small pets, nothing exciting.

The thing is, some small rodent pets that I've seen for sale in the US can only survive in dry, arid areas i.e. not NZ. So if they don't pose a huge threat to our native fauna, why can't we get them here?

The thing is, some small rodent pets that I've seen for sale in the US can only survive in dry, arid areas i.e. not NZ. So if they don't pose a huge threat to our native fauna, why can't we get them here?

And most tropical fish can't survive in NZ water either, doesn't matter to the people that make the laws. This has been gone over about a billion times on the board.:)

Ferrets arnt rodents are they? Its a shame we cant keep them anymore but they amount I get in my possum traps, as well as stoats and weasles is beyond belief. I had 2 ferrets when i grew up and they were great pets. Rats are too, my sisters rat is a nutter, I just let him run wild in my room, he goes back to his cage to use the bathroom too so its great. Only keep 1 rat though if it will have alot of handling and attention, otherwise get it a friend. I would recommend a rat though.

AHHHH NOOOOOO!!!

as nzers we've already made the massive mistake of importing bloody terrible things into our virgin country like gorse then rabbits, possums, cats and countless other pests. i too would LOVE a squirel or similar but if nz let in more non native things then our beautiful little native birds would have even more competition for food and we could say goodbye to being called kiwis :cry:

ps: Chinchillas are exciting! and rats are awesome pets! anyway this is a fish site so get some fish instead lol - jokes :)