safety factor for 6ft tank

Caryl

I am looking to get a 6ft x 2 x 2 tank built (I think that is 1.8m x 60cm x 60cm). What thickness of glass should I use? I have looked at Warren's glass thickness calculator (all of which went over my head) and think 10mm thickness gives me a safety factor of 2.4 and 12mm will be 3.4. Ideally the safety factor should be 3.8 apparently but that is optimum. How low can the factor be before average safety is compromised? Is 10mm and 2.4 OK?

If you have a tank this size, what thickness is the glass on yours?

Many thanks to all. I think the Euro bracing is the way to go, assuming it is what I think it is :roll:

So far I have been quoted $639.95 and $990. One glazier said they couldn't do it as they don't have the thicker glass in that size and it would be too expensive to cut a sheet. Waiting for a third quote.

The original quote is my preference (not because it is cheapest) as I know the guy and have seen his tanks. They are great. Trouble is he is in ChCh so I was also looking locally. Looks like a road trip coming up!

Many thanks to all. I think the Euro bracing is the way to go, assuming it is what I think it is :roll:

So far I have been quoted $639.95 and $990. One glazier said they couldn't do it as they don't have the thicker glass in that size and it would be too expensive to cut a sheet. Waiting for a third quote.

The original quote is my preference (not because it is cheapest) as I know the guy and have seen his tanks. They are great. Trouble is he is in ChCh so I was also looking locally. Looks like a road trip coming up!

If you are talking about Tim, his tanks are great (I have quite a few of his) but be prepared for a long wait.

correct David

I agree with over kill as I have seen many kids badly cut by tanks with less strength

You are right though in that tanks made from far less may well be great for many years but they are under stress all the time and therefore they take less to break. When they do break the force of water creates missiles of the broken glass and the damage to flesh can be bad.

Simply put, its up to the person buying to be happy with the risk factor

the recomendations dont make a difference in this case Mark

you are also correct with what we can get away with

When young and stupid, we could get away with being drunk and driving many years ago

My wife dives at 55 to 60 and gets away with it.... untill today when she has got a ticket for 58km

still not the correct thing to do

Latest quote recommends 12mm all over and $1473.19 :o

I think I prefer the original quote, which I assume is for 10mm glass :roll:

I agree with Livingart here, for the average home (the tank is not in an area with constant foot traffic anywhere near) less than the recommended will be fine.