MAFia at it again!

sharn

I will double check just to make sure, he said he had received an email from MAF advising him of this, he didnt say if it was nationally or just local. The council man did ring suppliers in Auckland and told them they could no longer supply to anyone tho?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand that V. gigantea and americana (both called eel grass I think) have been banned by the Regional Council in Auckland and Waikato for some time. This is usually when that plant is a problem in that particular location. I have a friend down here who grows plants commercially and was told by maf that he could keep Hygrophilla costata but could not propagate, commercially display or advertise, or sell it. He destroyed it--it was easier. Things may have changed, might pay to ask if you are in contact with them.

Maf don't do research to see if an organism is safe to import. You pay a heap of experts megabucks to come up with the information sufficient for maf to say yes or no. You file this info with your application.

What is the point of belonging to a national organisation with more expertise in fish keeping and ichology than all the Govt dept's combined if we cant work together on a project to get some new fish in. Yes as an individual it is a nigh on impossible task without a huge bank roll, but we have in our ranks biologists, scientists, administrators and people who have too much time on there hands and spend all day posting on here :lol:

I think the Amano shrimp would be a good trial of the system. it will take work but this community can do it provided we are persistent.

I think you would find that there are enough people in the Global fish keeping community who already have the organisms information on hand and who would be willing to share if it was done in a sensible manner. Our biggest challenge would be coming up with the local environmental data, which shouldn't be too difficult (the Waikato Aquarium Society's Patron is a big cheese at NIWA)

well, see if they appear on the import list - i know there are lots for sale from singapore, and malayasia - countries that our importers often import from anyways.

as long as there is demand from this end - and the technical know-how on this end (you can't just keep shrimp in any conditions and with any old fish) they will automatically be available here cause they will be imported.

then it just lies on shops to order them in, keep them alive (they are pretty delicate and this will be a deterrent for many) and us (the public) to breed them.

maybe a petition organised locally by clubs for a reform of the import laws and more sensible ideas submitted to members of local parliment haha we should invite clayton cosgrove to a TT meeting and feed him up with home baking then he will have to listen :D

I thought every time this sort of thing was mentioned, someone piped up and said "but there are so many species that are ALREADY on the allowed list, but actually getting them in is such a hassle for x y and z reason, so trying to get additional things ON the list just adds a whole new level of complication"

... I don't know the details but I am surprised that hasn't been mentioned yet.

There are lots of fish on the existing list that aren't bought in because of the bureaucracy and level of technical expertise required to clear them once they are in NZ.

They are ok to bring in, but once they are here the procedures undertaken to clear them are not economically viable, so they are just not brought in.

Having said that, there are a lot of fish that are brought in to NZ under the wrong name - not intentionally so, but under a generic name. Plecos are the perfect example of that. If L numbers were used, we probably wouldn't have the limited selection of plecos that we do actually have.

I think we are all optimistically hoping that the process is somewhat simplified this time round. :lol: