Average at Animates

JK

Its not up to the customer to get to know the store worker -its up to the store worker to get to know the customer, 'rapport building' ,if you want to maximise your sales and get repeat business its right up there with product knowledge

Whilst I agreed, this is somewhat difficult the way the numbers are skewed... a handful of staff, and a huge amount of customers. easier for the customer to remember the staff than staff to remember customers :lol:

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a student who works 9 hours a week at Animates. I appreciate your sweeping generalization, but not all sales people are like this. Personally, I give people advice to the best of my knowledge (and I do consider myself an expert on all of the fish & products we sell) even when that means saying they can get something cheaper elsewhere, or telling them they don't need the product they're looking at. We don't work on commission.

All I say to most people who wander into the fish section is "Are you okay there?" half the time the person will say yes and I'll walk away, but the other half they'll have a question about a product, fish, or some problem they're having with their tank. We can't read people's minds, the only way for us to know if they need help is to ask them. A lot of the time I'll be so busy they won't have a chance to approach me themselves, and in my experience a lot of people aren't forward enough to go out of their way to bother a salesperson.

Indeed, a lot of people want to be helped, but always too reserved to ask!

cichlid_fan wrote:

Its not up to the customer to get to know the store worker -its up to the store worker to get to know the customer, 'rapport building' ,if you want to maximise your sales and get repeat business its right up there with product knowledge

Whilst I agreed, this is somewhat difficult the way the numbers are skewed... a handful of staff, and a huge amount of customers. easier for the customer to remember the staff than staff to remember customers

Rapport building includes eye contact and a simple 'Hi' :D

just to add my 2c - they are running a shop - its in their best interest to approach customers to say hi and can i help - if you say no then thats fine they can go back to the chit chat but if you say yes then thats all sweet - to completely ignore people is downright rude especially if there is a group of people chatting - if they are busy its understandable that not everyone can be served or acknowledged straight away

I am another who hates having shop staff approach me (often several times in a short space of time at one particular chain store, not in Auckland) asking how I am and if I need help. If I want someone I prefer to go and find them, or attract their attention, not have to be chatty every 5 minutes to perky staff member asking me how my day has been and interrupting my chain of thought :-?

but you see the problem is the shop assistant doesn't know that you are an experienced fish keeper and you know their stuff... Time is money and LFS find it hard to make ends meat, so they try and sell sell sell because after all thats the name of the game and the reason why they are in business... I mean if you are not making money why bother? not many people do it for charity?

If you don't want help just say to them ill grab you when i need some help so they know not to bother you again.

All I say to most people who wander into the fish section is "Are you okay there?" half the time the person will say yes and I'll walk away, but the other half they'll have a question about a product, fish, or some problem they're having with their tank. We can't read people's minds, the only way for us to know if they need help is to ask them. A lot of the time I'll be so busy they won't have a chance to approach me themselves, and in my experience a lot of people aren't forward enough to go out of their way to bother a salesperson.

I would happily wait for you to be free now as a few people there drive me nuts and you are one of maybe two people who has actually given good advice, or even just informing me that the filter I bought not long ago was good quality was much appreciated. I've been visiting every week or two since I first got tropical fish and it's always the same. I went in the other day and one girl who was finishing her shift just stopped serving despite the line of people waiting, grabbed her bag and walked off. It was an oh my god moment, for the sake of five minutes! Grrr.

And i'd trust your advice because the boyfriend says your dad has said (after he mentioned he'd seen you at work) that you have the same passion for your fish and they have for baseball. That's some dedication! :lol:

On the whole i'm not really enthralled with this thread, too much generalisation. It all comes down the the individual customer AND staff. But i know 90% of the guys i work with that have a decent knowledge in fishkeeping are more likely to tell you how to DIY something cheaper rather than sell a product. And sorry cynics, but when we come over and ask what fish you have, and you get your back up and spit out the "i'm just looking" defense without even finding out who we are, often we DO ACTUALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT FISH YOU HAVE :D Because we like fish too, otherwise we wouldn't hover in the fishroom mucking around in tank water all day.

Funny story:

We had a customer that bought 7 ten-day plaster of paris feeding blocks because she was going away for a couple of months. Of course they would have all dissolved in the first couple of weeks and killed her tank. We told her this, and recommended either having someone come by at regular intervals to feed them, or the long-lasting gel blocks that the fish pick at when they're keen for a feed. She got very defensive and suspicious, as the gel blocks were more expensive, and insisted on buying the plaster of paris. Guess who was back for an exchange the next morning, once she'd had time for logic to sink in?

I really think this thread has been done to death. :roll:

Imagine sitting in a room listening to people discuss you because what is being done here is imo no better than that.

Human nature being what it is, not everyone is going to agree with what someone else thinks.

Dealing with the public is frequently a thankless task (and yes I do deal with the public every day in my job). People normally do their job to the best of their ability. :D

At the end of the day, if you really truly don't like the service you get from a place, be it a Dr, Dentist, Dairy or LFS, you have the choice to go there because you like or want something, or you can go somewhere else.

And sorry cynics, but when we come over and ask what fish you have, and you get your back up and spit out the "i'm just looking" defense without even finding out who we are, often we DO ACTUALLY WANT TO KNOW WHAT FISH YOU HAVE :D Because we like fish too, otherwise we wouldn't hover in the fishroom mucking around in tank water all day.

I have noticed though, fish keepers are a really grumpy bunch compared to dog owners... just an observation...

I don't know about grumpy but a lot seem to think they know more than they actually do and assume they know more than the shop assistant :roll:

As said, we are all human, we all have good days and bad days, good points and bad points and what one person likes about something will be the same reason another hates it. I feel sorry for all the shop owners out there who have to put up with dealing with the general public who, en masse, are usually more ignorant than the assistants :roll:

I have noticed though, fish keepers are a really grumpy bunch compared to dog owners... just an observation...

It's because they're trying to scare us off :D

I think new fishkeepers are more fun because they want to talk about fish, and their setup, and ideas to up the awesome factor. Experienced fishkeepers are more likely to have an "i just want to get the fish that i want, i don't want to smile and risk being given a sales pitch" attitude

I don't know about grumpy but a lot seem to think they know more than they actually do and assume they know more than the shop assistant :roll: :

I have people all the time that, for example, could take me to town with their knowledge of say, american cichlids or monster fish, but wouldn't have a clue about other things, e.g. community tank compatibility. And then there are the guys that think those pretty tropicals are as simple to keep as a bowl and some tap water, and would walk out with a fish and kill it if no one approached them. For the greater good, us friendly/"pushy" salespeople :D

None of us know whether we'll benefit from talking to someone until we actually start the conversation.

At least they know what neons were.

I went to Animates Kaiwarawara (Wellington) and asked if they ever sold Discus.

The lady then replied, um, what a discus?

Pfft.

Will NOT be visiting them again.

They should have 3 in their tank. If you ask for Lez he will show you what the look like if you need the help to find them.

come on guys

give it a rest

10 tanks running... maybe they were waiting for stock to arrive?

Maybe they had just moved fish to a different tank to make more room.

Im not trying to give anyone a hard time but there may well have been good reasons but do they even need to explain? I run my business the way I want to!

As some-one said earlier, this has been done to death... some people like one store and not the next others like store 2 and not store 1

some people have given the people that work in those stores a bad rep but willingly accept their advice on here.

Personally, I dont have a problem with any of them (LFS) but support those that support me and my interests. So we can all have different tastes and expectations but dont forget that the people in the stores that you are knocking are people as well and can understandablely get annoyed as they can never keep everyone happy