The "Spectacular Failure"

jc360

The results are out... 87% want the law changed. Well done NZ. I wonder if the person charged with manslaughter of the three year old in Palmerston North even voted?

Im not exactly proud of the fact that i pay good money for Sue's paycheck every week.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I guess I'm in the minority on this one then... I just don't see how smacking a child because s/he did something wrong, e.g hitting another child, is going to solve it. It should just increase the violence of the child and show them that smacking is okay. :-?

naah. smack the badones.

teach em manners and good behaviours.

teach em to be good to animals, and they will be good to humans.

teach em about ethics and social responsibility.

teach them it is not OK to take things without asking!

teach them how to accept no for an answer,

and teach them that winning is not everything.

Im not exactly proud of the fact that i pay good money for Sue's paycheck every week.

:hail:

it was a stupid law that was rushed through parliment in a fit of contrived elitist and moral-high-horsing. and in a spasm of thinking that they had to go along withthe bill, the rest of the legislature went with it, despite what majority (now obvious by this reffferendum) of everyday New Zealanders felt.

National has plans to make changes to the RMA system too. these are available as the first reading here : http://beehive.govt.nz/speech/speech+first+reading+rma

red it very carefully, there are good points and bad. this is another multiple sherical objects- up waiting to happen.

i dont think i will smack, however i just watched this woman (S--) just turn her back on the result and say she has no respect for the referendum. i have to pay this person to be rude, completely incompetent, and self serving.

I guess I'm in the minority on this one then... I just don't see how smacking a child because s/he did something wrong, e.g hitting another child, is going to solve it. It should just increase the violence of the child and show them that smacking is okay. :-?

i agree totally. but i think there are plenty of very good people out there that have had a smack in their youth.

i agree totally. but i think there are plenty of very good people out there that have had a smack in their youth.

It all comes down to do as I say, not as I do. But children learn best by watching and being led by example, not listening.

a smack should definately be a last resort, not a first, but some kids it is the only thing that they will listen to!

i was well smacked when i was a kid, my brother grew up without it. im now finishing my bachelor, and my brother will be lucky to make it to the end of year 11... just bercause he lacks the guidance that sometimes only a hand can give.

diff kids respond to different things, if your kids listen to your spoken word then thats great, but i know that i would not be where i am today without being put in my place a few times....

making smacking illegal is rediculous. a smack and a beating are 2 diff things. what this horrendous miscarriage of legislation has done is put them together in the same boat.

a smack should definately be a last resort, not a first, but some kids it is the only thing that they will listen to!

i was well smacked when i was a kid, my brother grew up without it. im now finishing my bachelor, and my brother will be lucky to make it to the end of year 11... just bercause he lacks the guidance that sometimes only a hand can give.

diff kids respond to different things, if your kids listen to your spoken word then thats great, but i know that i would not be where i am today without being put in my place a few times....

making smacking illegal is rediculous. a smack and a beating are 2 diff things. what this horrendous miscarriage of legislation has done is put them together in the same boat.

this might be the most intelligent thing i have heard all day???? week even??? lol

thanks for the conversation! Now i think i will sleep alot easier.

its not sensitive really.

an elightened discusion ona political outcome of overwhelming stature in the face of a brazen law is just as valid as any discussion. (my opinion)

its not politics as such, more a discussion in law. there are 2 sides. but thats what makes a discussion... :wink:

parents should have the right to choose how they parent. a smack is not the same as a beating.

Why take away the right to smack a child.. you don't have to agree with smacking but to take away another persons choice is ridiculous. You can parent your own children the way you see fit.. not everyone will have the same ideas as you and there is no single "one size fits all" method.

parents should have the right to choose how they parent. a smack is not the same as a beating.

Why take away the right to smack a child.. you don't have to agree with smacking but to take away another persons choice is ridiculous. You can parent your own children the way you see fit.. not everyone will have the same ideas as you and there is no single "one size fits all" method.

:hail:

You would not expect any other result by the way that the question is worded. It infers that smacking is part of good parenting. It makes as much sense as saying 60% of heroin addicts were breast fed. I am curious as to how people think smacking is not hitting and the charge is led by born agains---the very same people who justified slavery, white supremacy and the persecution of Jews with quotes from the bible. You may be able to tell that I was brought up in a Christian household as my father used to quote the bible as he beat the crap out of me.

Where is the logic that convices you that it is OK to hit your children that you love when you would not even consider doing the same thing to your neighbour.

The law means what the law says and if you allow smacking you are allowing hitting and there will be no guidelines (how could there be?) on how hard a hit is OK. I hope the born agains do a lot of praying for the kids that die or are severely beaten because misguided parents thought it was legal.

You do not need to hit your children or your neighbour.

Firstly

I was only born the once

2nd I have never had a slave

3rd I have never had herion but was breast fed

4th I see no colour as supream

5th I have never persecuted any race let alone Jews

6th Child murders and beatings have increased since this law was passed

7th my children were smacked and I have a very close family that is also successful

eldest = well respected teacher

middle = dental nurse that is harrassed by others to come and work for them. She is offered all sorts of great money but chooses to work for a little less as her employer passes these savings on and is known as one the the best and cheapest

third = about to leave school and become a speach theropist but is a coach, dancer and ice skater as well as a person that is sort after as a babysitter because she can control children extremely well.

8th = my children were never beaten but no law would have stopped me if I was to loose my temper and lay into them.

So where is the real problem? The problem is that people have children without knowing what being a parent is. They think bad behaviour is cute or boys will be boys. They allow their children to but into discussions that dont concern them as the children seek attention. They allow children to get away with what ever they want to. End result is that the children knows they can get away with it and transfer this attitude to the general public

Look at the disrespect that the " boy racers" have to the public. look at the disrespect that burgulars have to their victoms

Simply put, some parents should never be allowed to have children untill they are aware of their responsibilities. This have been going on for many generations and what was once taught to grandchildren by grandparents has been lost as a lot of young simply will not respect those before them who have been there and done that.

So where is the real problem? The problem is that people have children without knowing what being a parent is. They think bad behaviour is cute or boys will be boys. They allow their children to but into discussions that dont concern them as the children seek attention. They allow children to get away with what ever they want to. End result is that the children knows they can get away with it and transfer this attitude to the general public

Look at the disrespect that the " boy racers" have to the public. look at the disrespect that burgulars have to their victoms

Simply put, some parents should never be allowed to have children untill they are aware of their responsibilities. This have been going on for many generations and what was once taught to grandchildren by grandparents has been lost as a lot of young simply will not respect those before them who have been there and done that.

I have to agree with this, I am in my mid thirties and was never smacked that I can recall, but I allways knew if I ever stepped over the mark I possibly would be as a Consequence.

It seems there have been a lot of "PC" changes since I was a kid but the main two I believe changed things for the bad was allowing drinking at 18 and taking decipline out of schools and the home, it has taught kids they can do what ever they want with NO CONSEQUENCES, this is why we now have generations with no respect or any regard of how their actions may effect the people around them.

The horrible beatings that children receive is not decipline it is assault and should be treated as such I don't know how the two could be mixed up.

born agains---the very same people who justified slavery, white supremacy and the persecution of Jews with quotes from the bible. .

that's rubbish.

People with a warped ideas use bible passages to push their own agendas , thinking they can justify by using bible passages out of context. That does not make a "born again"

You would not expect any other result by the way that the question is worded. It infers that smacking is part of good parenting. It makes as much sense as saying 60% of heroin addicts were breast fed. I am curious as to how people think smacking is not hitting and the charge is led by born agains---the very same people who justified slavery, white supremacy and the persecution of Jews with quotes from the bible.

I hope the born agains do a lot of praying for the kids that die or are severely beaten because misguided parents thought it was legal.

it has never been legal to beat your kids or assualt them. The law hasn't added anything to protect these children.