Pleco ID please

phoenix44

lol. hardly. hahahaha.

its just there is only so much available. then there are all those export and import restrictions.

so naming them with L numbers were dropped so soem fish could be bought in to NZ.

once they are here, they are sometimes given creative names- fine for someone who likes the look of a pleco - but if you really want to know what it is like me, then its a huge mission - especially with a fish like this - that could be any number of fish.

:lol:

any how here is a few more better pics now that they finished pigging out on a whole courgette -

DSC05559Small.jpg

DSC05564Small.jpg

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah. the guys on PC also seem to think the same although L169 was another possibility at one stage.

well best thing for me now is to take really good care of them and see if any patters change.

so far L002 is the consensus.

Now i wonder how rare these are in NZ. :lol:

Now i wonder how rare these are in NZ. :lol:

Dude!- you are a danger!

What if I told you that they are very common but L169 is very rare?

they are definitely L169 then :D

I like the way he thinks. ha hahaahha. :o :lol: :lol: :lol:

naah im kidding. we can't be selective in what we WAnt the fish to be.

if its an L002 so it is. they're an awesome fish what ever they are so im happy as. :D

im just happy im part of these forums so i could get an ID on the fish instead of buying them without knowing and then mucking everything up.

Just remember that many of these L-numbers may well be the same species anyway. Hopefully in a few years we may know the answer. Its a little dodgy calling it 'L002' but it is reportedly by far the most common of many similar looking tiger plecos. Even the experts on PC weren't prepared to be a definitive id on it.

I might have to put some pics on Phoenix44's PC post and see if they think the same on my 'L169's' and 'L271's' (they certainly look a lot like phoenix44's). Just checked my 5 so-called juvenile 'L271's the other day and it looks like I've got 2 boys and 3 girls. Always nice when a plan comes together. :D