Red disappearing fins?

SamH

melafix contains plant oil

the US. patent office

http://patft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Pars ... RS=5882647

Shortened version

"Melafix is composed of:

1% cajeput oil

1% emulsifier (Crovol PK-70 nonionic emulsifier)

0.2% defoamer (FG-10 by Dow Corning)

97.8% deionized water"

An aqueous solution without emulsifier and defoamer can be used, but the mixture must be shaken vigorously for 1-5 minutes first.

Note cajeput oil is another name for oil from the tree Melaleuca. From my reading, the patent is based on oil from a vietnamese version of the tree, Melaleuca

cajuputi, M. leucadendron and other species of Melaleuca.

Apparently some of the herbal/health food oil, called "Tea tree oil" is from an australian version of the Melaleuca tree, Melaleuca alternifolia . Haven't heard of any specific differentiation. However, it appears that the term cajeput is used only for the vietnamese oils from M. cajuputi and M. leucadendron. So if you want to be mixing EXACTLY the same stuff, it seems to me you want to find "cajeput" oil, not merely "Tea tree" oil.

Also wondering about the "CAS# 8008-98-8" I found it is a scientific reference which translates to

"Oil of cajeput [8008-98-8] Synonyms: Melaleuca cajuputi powell oil; Melaleuca leucadendron l. oil; Cajuput oil; Oil of cajeput; Cajeput oil"

All the red on his fins is gone and he's just being his normal self, but more hungry. He likes to swim into the pot, hide in the dark, then slowly come out. It looks super wicked and kinda scary.

Can I feed him or not? If so, flakes or freeze dried bloodworms?

Today I'm supposed to do a 25% water change and add 1ml per 30 litres. Sound okay?

Just when I though he was all better, he has a HUGE red streak on his fins, bigger than all of his previous streaks and dots combined. It's already eaten through some of his fin.

Day one: I added 28 drops

Day three: Did a 25% water change, added 1ml

Day seven: Did a 50% water change

Just as tonic instructed.

Can I add some more? Or should I wait and get some Furan?

I went to Pet Pac today and they'd just run out of Furan :evil:

They weren't getting any more until later this week so I got some Betta Fix Remidie in the mean time. Put him in a cut down soft drink bottle with exactly 500ml of water and some gravel and a plant. Put that inside his tank and added the Betta Fix.

He's just sitting in the plant at the moment :(

Not good. The rot has spread down to his body. He's acting normal and still eating but he's getting worse. I'm thinking it's time to put him out of it.

I used to use the rapid emersion in boiling water technique and this killed the fish instantly but I've read that it's not okay. Can I add drops of alcohol until the fish dies or is there a better method? I don't have any clove oil.

Sam.. what about Furan? has petpac got some more in yet??

Otherwise I have 6 capsules you can borrow.. just replace when you can as I like to have some on standbye.

I also have some clove oil if you're desperate.

Where abouts in Manukau are you? I'm in wattle Downs, Manurewa.

furan-2

it's not cheap but is "effective against gram positive and gram negative organisms"

teh active ingredients are furazolidone, nitrofurazone and meth blue.

Seems to be a broad spectrum systematic antibiotic.. will get in their system and not just treat surface infection.

It turns the water yellowish green .. and it did leave slight staining on my silicone but barely noticeable.