Red disappearing fins?

SamH

I have a fighter who gets red "spots" on his fins and then they (the part of his fins that turned red) disappear. I thought he might be biting it off but now I think that's not the case. Here's some pics to give you an idea of what I'm talking about:

IMG_4158.jpg

IMG_4160.jpg

IMG_4163.jpg

It'd be great if you could give me suggestions on what it could be? He doesn't seem to be in any pain but there's a big splotch now that looks kinda serious. He's in a tank of his own.

(10001th post in the Disease section!)

Ammo should be at Zero, never been about 5ppm ever.

Moved out of tank, tore down tank, moved back in. He's had this condition on and off for the past month or so but now it's gotten much worse.

Hi Sam

yes it is a form of finrot and you will need furan. Be careful using it though as it is nasty and a known carcinogen (sp?) - can cause cancer. Wear gloves of some sort so you don't get it on your hands. Follow the instructions on the packet and she/he should recover.

Usually what happens is that when the tail or fins go red they then drop off to just above the red part so it looks like its gone. The red moves further up and it happens again. If it gets out of control you will find that when you look theres nothing left on the fish and its on the bottom of the tank or up the filter.

With a ct its a lot harder to see exactly whats going on.

Yes, very hard to see.

Set up a hospital tank for him/her tonight, hoping to move him/her in by Friday.

I have some General Tonic that's used for healing Fin Rot and other fungal infections, contains Meth Green and/or Blue. This sound any good?

You can stick him in the hospital tank straight away and if he is with other fish I would do so as this will spread being bacterial. While the other meds will help at this stage they are not likely to cure but if you are unable to get hold of furan for whatever reason you will need to use what you have. Its a nasty infection and the fish is likely to be alive one minute and dead when you check a few minutes later.

Thanks Livingart and ADodge.

He seems fine this morning, still swimming around heaps like he usually does. I'm going to move him after school as I don't have the time now and I don't want to rush acclimitization.

as adodge said seperate him and don't worry about putting into the hospital tank as

you could use the water from existing tank when you change him over

in my experience the tonic you have plus some salt and frequent water changes can help the problem and even make it dissapear, but i have had it come back later on

healthy fish can be resistant to many things but when they are stressed in any way their auto immune systen can lower and allow diseases to break out

your fighter could live in a small amount of water to make the treatment easier

Sam

where abouts in Manukau are you?

I know fincity (Petpac) in Takanini def has furan..it's hanging on a hook behind the other meds... not all the staff know it's there lol. If you haven't joined the petclub at petpac you should.. you get a $20 voucher to spend ... that would pay for your furan.

Also animates botany.

He's in the hospital tank now, flaring at himself in the mirrored background.

Dosed 2 drops of "TONIC".

Instructions said add 1ml per 20 litres of aquarium water (1 drop per litre)

1.5% Methylene Blue, 0.1% Malachite Green, 0.05% Acriflavine, 0.04% Quinine.

Does this sound right? I want to know if I can dose a further 26 drops (He's in a 28 Litre aquarium)?

No signs of healing, tank is a cool shade of blue though.

He is flaring at himself still and sometimes at the tank next to him.

Can they see each other through the glass if the two tanks aren't joined? E.G: ([___] [___]) (<--- Those are the two tanks)