Earthquake!

Its possible you felt it in Wanganui.. it was of a sizeable magnitude and only 5 kms deep which is shallow for an earthquake. I believe the shallower they are the more widely felt.

Must have been felt a lot because the geonet website is struggling to cope. I'm trying to fill out a Felt Report and its having problems. Says the service is temporarily unavailable.

Looks like its gonna be a busy day tomorrow!! I work for Insurance Assessing company. :D

I felt it here in Blenheim. Like bdspider, I thought I was having a dizzy spell then I noticed the hanging plants were swinging. Grant hadn't felt it and really didn't believe me until he looked it up on geonet :roll:

geonet just updated stating the 1st been

# Reference Number: 3124785

# NZST: Wed, Jul 15 2009 9:22 pm

# Magnitude: 7.8

# Depth: 12 km

# Details: 100 km north-west of Tuatapere

and the 2nd been

# Reference Number: 3124792

# NZST: Wed, Jul 15 2009 9:41 pm

# Magnitude: 6.1

# Depth: 5 km

# Details: 150 km west of Tuatapere

Geonet have upgraded it from 6.6 to 7.8. Thats huge.

There was another large aftershock, approximately 20 mins later at 6.1, but it was centred off the coast.. further away so not felt so much. Probably would have created a small tsunami though..

http://www.geonet.org.nz for anyone thats keen on finding out more, or filling out a Felt Report

ahh wagonman you beat me to it..

oh yeah, insurance. Did I mention that after the sloshing, my tank fell over and smashed to pieces :evil:

OUCH :cry: Have you got a spare? or want to borrow one?

Well i felt it, was sitting at the computer and kept looking up, hubby asked what was wrong... i said feels like an earthquake. He said uh-huh and went out of the room, just then it happened. only little like 10seconds, but enough.