My planted tank - opinions & advice welcome

whetu

Here's my first photo post on this forum - so bear with me if it doesn't work!

This is my planted tank - 1200mm x 400mm x 450mm. I have mostly Amazon Swords and Java Fern, and at the moment some Ambilia free-floating on the top of the tank because I haven't quite decided what to do with it!

The bubbles are as a result of my spray bar getting out of position. There aren't usually bubbles in the tank but I thought they were fun for a bit of a change. I have since repositioned the spray bar. No more bubbles.

Crop3.jpg

Ok this is where I tell you I was lying and my first ever pic on this forum was a hoax! :o

This is what my tank really looks like:

Crop2.jpg

The key difference is the darned filter intake on the right. It is the bane of my life! Please help with suggestions on how I can make it "disappear" in real life the way it did in the top photo!

I woudl like the intake to stay at this level in the tank rather than drop it down behind the plants & rocks. There is a second intake already lower in the tank, and I like having the two intakes at different heights because they remove different stuff from the tank. So how can I aquascape the tank so I don't see the intake, while also retaining its effctiveness. Any ideas?

Very nice - I don't know if this might help but in the local lfs I saw imitation tree trucks in tanks with the filter intake stuck inside them. It depends if its 'the look' you want or not. I would work in mine as I have heaps of wood anyway. :D

It looks absolutely beautiful whetu.

this is the reason I like planted tanks so much, and have spent soooo many hundreds of dollars getting the right equipment for the plants.

Clown loach paradise :wink:

you don't have to make the intake disappear. A bit of x mas moss and string goes a long way on those intakes - as long as you prune it, it should look great. alternatively a piece of driftwood can cover the pipe perfectly.

Thanks everyone. Hmmm... I will look into the fake wood option. Surprisingly, I already have a LOT of driftwood in the tank - you just can't see it because all the Java fern is growing over it! If I can find a fake hollow log that looks realistic enough, I might use it to hide the intake.

I also have a lot of rocks. In the left hand back corner there is a stack of rocks all siliconed together with gaps between and this is where the loaches hang out a lot of the time. But you can't even see the rocks any more. It's surprising there's even room for the fish with all that other stuff. :roll:

Phoenix, I have considered wrapping the intake with java moss or something, but surely it would just get sucked into the intake and block it all up? I don't know if you can see from the photo, but I have the hose for the other intake all wrapped up and it does camouflage it nicely. But I only wrapped the hose, not the actual basket over the intake.

those log things look pretty cool. the brand is "blue planet". bear in mind they cost a bomb for what they are- like $40+ so i think it's better to just get some more drift wood. either that or some ambulia. plant it in front of the filter and it will grow to the top, and you will not know the intake even exists.

Thanks everyone for your kind comments. In reality, it's just a slightly overgrown and very low-tech setup! :oops:

• Lights: 1 x 40watt & 2 x 30 watt tubes, all the cheap "daylight" tubes from Bunnings. The tank is near a north-facing window though, and I think the natural light does help.
  • Ferts: I have recently added JBL balls under the swords. I was using Nutrafin Plant Gro liquid ferts but I stopped because I seemed to get a green water bloom every time I used it. In fact the swords are showing signs of nutrient deficiencies so I'm looking for answers for that at the moment.
  • There's no CO2 and the substrate is just a (very thin) layer of dark gravel. I am intending to add more gravel, but at the time I set up the tank I couldn't afford more! :o

As for the filter intake issue, I did try planting ambulia in front of it for a while but it just got sucked in! :o I also tried covering the intake basket with a black stocking. It looked very good initially (I was quite proud of it as a solution) but then the stocking started to get sucked in too! :o

I didn't realise you could buy different coloured baskets for the intake. I will look into that as a black or dark grey one would certainly look less conspicuous. The filters are both Eheims so I hope I can find something suitable (and cheap!) hmmm... I wonder if I could rig up one of those little mesh pots that plants come in...

if you can get someone to lend you another one of those inlets for a day or two - you can take yours off, dry it, put silicone on it, and sprinkle sand or something like that on it.

I did it for a customers tank, and he was thrilled. it had an awesome layered look, and looked awesome.

As for the green basket thing, well - maybe that can be covered with a plant, or better still put it lower to the ground so it cant be seen.

PS- if you bought a fluval there would be no bright green filter parts in the tank ha haahhahahahha :lol:

PS- if you bought a fluval there would be no bright green filter parts in the tank ha haahhahahahha :lol:

*whacks Phoenix & steals his fluval*

Here's the same tank in March. If you think the heater is an eyesore now you should have seen it a couple of months ago!

This photo shows the driftwood and rocks a lot more, and you can also clearly see the brown tips on the biggest sword and the twisted leaves on the others. :-?

crop.jpg

Now that's some impressive java fern growth!!! :hail::hail::hail:

Yes, it seems to like my tank! I got it as little baby plants from fish_fingers in May 2008, and now just over a year later it's everywhere! :lol: Now I'm giving away my own little baby plants so it's a nice feeling to be able to pass them on. :D

In fact the swords are showing signs of nutrient deficiencies so I'm looking for answers for that at the moment

You could maybe try adding daily trace elements. Red Sea Flora24 or Seachem's trace would probably work - the Seachem one is the least expensive of the two per 100mL and says to use it only twice a week, while the other is daily and only requires i think 1 drop per 50L.