what car would you buy if you had 20k to spend?

paul_r

one of the mates is going car shopping in couple weeks, has 20k to spend but not sure what to get.

wants car to be:

newer than 02

standard engine/performance wise, pretty much unmolested

fast, preferably turbo

preferably manual but auto ok

Preferably a 4 door, but 2 door ok if car is awesome

Must look great, preferably with bodykit n rims etc

4wd or rwd

must not be very common, evry man n his dog got a wrx etc

he was really keen on an altezza but was dissapointed by the n/a performance, and couldnt find a turbo one.

let me know what ideas you have

Toyota Chaser would be nice, too bad it's a '98 and a bit pricey.

85772400_full.jpg

If it were me I'd be more inclined to ditch the "unique" approach and just pick up a nice early stock Evo - either that or turn to the dark side and go European. In all honesty I'd probably just buy an '87 Starlet and one of these :].

yea he has always had a soft spot for the altezzas, test drove one but was not happy with the 2.0l na power, we will be looking into the lexus is300 and checking if its any better

i like the rarer toyotas, such as chaser aristo etc, but its not me buying a car.

i suggested the likes of an evo 7, xr6 turbo, r34 skyline etc but looks like we will wander through car yards in tauranga, hamilton and see what jumps out at him. he doesnt know much about cars so hes taking a few of us along to help him out

how about a Diahatsu Move... probably under $5000 and that leaves about $15000 for a deposit on a home.

5 Years time the car will be worth say $3500 and the home will be 30% dearer so you will still have your car and will also have your money back :roll:

Go the Hilux!

Amen! Nothing like a good ole lux that can really be treated like a vehicle should be.

I'd have a boring old holden suburban (american type) or chevy ute with a goosneck horse trailer towing behind. hmmmmm big cars

• 2 weeks later...

i think he wants something with a bit of style that will impress the ladies.

has a vr4 legnum and doesnt like it any more

wants something faster with more style and newer etc

utes are awesome but if he got one would never use 4wd and the deck would never have anything on the back, so impractical for him