Paul Henry is awesome!

paul_r

Firstly i am in no way racist, have grown up in predominantly maori area, heard every white joke in the book and been beaten up etc because of the colour of my skin. i absolutly hate racism and all associated views

secondly it made me sick reading the nz herald recently that there was the idea that maori were going to have relaxed criteria to enter university, cheap/free entry etc. this i believe is creating further unnessecary racisn which angers me, what is this country coming to?

I have worked extremly hard to gain university entrance and most papers i have studied are at university level, worked extremly hard to pay for all fees etc, no scholarships etc

http://tvnz.co.nz/breakfast-news/breakfast-thursday-18-june-2788532/video?vid=2788555

Paul Henry you have made my day :hail::bow: :bounce:

yes he is. that woman needs to open her eyes. she made her self an absolute idiot on national television. not to mention she degraded an entire race.

im at uni, and trust me - if you can't get through high school there isn't the slightest chance in hell that you will make it through uni at any level.

may as well give them a degree without the hassle of uni entrance. i mean how hard is it to get 46 measley credits?

this issue makes me very angry ha ha.

I agree with you 100% paul_r

Why do these people get these special things given to them, when everybody else has to work their Butts off to get anywhere in this world.

As far as I'm concerned, we all have the same chance and choices in Life, it's a matter of whether we decide to make good choices or bad, or to throw our lives away or not, all this is teaching them, is sit on ya Butt and it will all get given to you.

My Boys no nothing about the Dole, or having things given to them on a silver platter, they have always worked hard for what they have, I think it should be the same for everybody out there, whether they are white, black, brown or pink.

It's stinks that's about all I can say :oops:

He's great.....he's a realistic and honest person. If he ran for a government position I'd vote for him.

And she wasn't the best interviewee either. I'm pretty sure she didn't understand much of what Paul had to say and I have a feeling that she didn't really understand what she was saying.

He's great.....he's a realistic and honest person. If he ran for a government position I'd vote for him.

And she wasn't the best interviewee either. I'm pretty sure she didn't understand much of what Paul had to say and I have a feeling that she didn't really understand what she was saying.

He was (and perhaps still is) a member of the national party.

He stood as a candidate at the elections before last but didn't get in.

If he stood again and was in my electorate he would get my vote.

He communicates his ideas well, has a great sense of humor and is not afraid to speak his mind even if it may offend some people.

He even uses mild swear words live on national television :bow:

ok im coming to rant some more :lol: :D

I work so hard at uni. wake up early in the morning, study, go to uni, study some more, come back home study some more; and then work 2 jobs!

If im not working at the bank during the week, i work at the pet shop during the weekends. I take as much time off as i need to do my assignments and exams, but all for what?

so that someone else can come along and gain access to the same level of education as me without any of the work just cause they are of the right race? grrrrrr argghhhh!!!! its ridiculous, and any one who proposed such a horrible thing is a complete dingbat.

and i refuse to let my parents pay my way through uni (which they want to do) only cause I want my degree to be my achievement. wish the same could be said about those who think they are entitled to free everything just cause of their race. its terrible.

ditto what phoenix said except i do not actually go to uni yet as i have the best job which i have worked my ... off to get so part time study is my best option for now, however will be starting extramural study for my BACC

worked hard for everything i have got, never been given anything, even though i have been offered support i have kindly declined. ive known from a young age that if i did not work hard i would not succeed (best lesson my grandfather ever taught me, second maybe to always respect a women)

i have a teeny tiny bit of maori in me, aparantly i can claim this or that but it does not interest me one bit i do not believe in it.

no but then stage 2 of the plan will come about into existence. :evil:

make getting degrees easier by having separate easy exams or something like that. :evil:

give them practise sessions with the exam papers. that should do the trick haha :lol:

if any stage happens it will further raise racial tensions here in nz. fairly safe to assume its not going to happen, although in todays world anythings possible i guess

how many people maori uneligible to get a degree now would go out and work for one, i congratulate the people who work hard and get their degree regardless of weather they were eligible after leaving school or not regardless of race

compare that to how many maori people that would otherwise be eligible for free degrees go out and attempt to get one. weather they pass or not is irrelevant

i personally dont believe that i should have to work extremely hard in life to get the things i want (education, this is one of major keys to success) when someone else of a different race could if this goes to plan (i doubt it will) get it for free and with potentially lesser ability

the majority of us here are just as much a New Zealander as the rest of us, and should all be treated with the same rights and respect as any other person regardless of color or background etc. no one race should ever get special attention for anything period

rant over, massive business communications exam for end of semester at 9.00 tommorrow morning last minute study and coffee here i come

Reminds me of when Billy Connoly was awarded an honorary Doctorate of Letters degree from the University of Glasgow, allegedly his wife, Pamela Stephenson would not talk to him for weeks because she had done her Doctorate of Clinical Psychology the hard way!

It is all a crock to get you all excited. No university worth its salt is going to make it easier to get a degree or their whole reputation would be destroyed. Getting a degree is just like any other formal education and proves that you are capable of getting a degree. It is what you do with your new found knowledge that matters.

It is all a crock to get you all excited. No university worth its salt is going to make it easier to get a degree or their whole reputation would be destroyed. Getting a degree is just like any other formal education and proves that you are capable of getting a degree. It is what you do with your new found knowledge that matters.

:hail:

Media - 1, General public - 0

look if we are honest the moari's are failing miserably at primary and secondary schools as it is. so i dont see how throwing them into university is going to help as the work is allot harder there so if they are failing at the lower levels how the heck are they going to cope at a much higher level.its not fair on them or anyone else.they need to go through the same process as everyone else in this country

he had it spot on when he said that the imbalance needs to be addressed much earlier, free uni entry isn't going to help if they can't read and write. Shame she didn't understand the question lol.

More money for extra teachers to help pick up those kids who are struggling is whats needed, regardless of their race. Reducing class sizes would be a good start.

you can get into uni without ncea credits, i looked into it at one stage, you just have to be over 20, and able to show that you are competent to do the course. So if you're a maori leaving school with no qualifications, and want to go to uni, you'd be best to get a job for the couple of years till you turn 20 in a field that relates to what you want to study, then if you can show you're up to the course you can get in on the basis of your experiance. Still have to do a test to show you can read and do simple maths though.

looks like Paul Henry has done his job judging by this thread!

As alan pointed out no one who cannot meet the entry requirements is going to be accepted to Uni. They do have a range of methods to bring people into the system that didn't experience academic success at school (CUP course plus changing eligibility standards once you reach 20 years of age). But in the end if you can't complete the course material you aren't going to get a qual.

You can't point a finger at lower achievement of certain groups without looking at the reasons behind it (economic/social etc). It's not a competition and we'd do far better as country if all (or as many people as possible) gained some form of relevant (you could be looking at uni/tech/apprenticeships/certificates/etc) tertiary quals...

Lots of super successful people left school without formal quals (School C etc before NCEA came in) and I'd imagine you wouldn't look down on them for a lack of quals...