Safely removing broken panel

VinsonMassif

What is the safest way to remove the broken panel from the side of the tank?

This is what I figure so far:

- remove internal silicone with blade

- remove top brace

- remove panel

The only thing I am not 100% on is how to separate the silicone in between the panels. There is not much space to fit a blade in.

Is there a solvent which will do the trick?

All input welcomed :)

score the broken pane with glass cutter then tap directly on opposite side on the score mark till it cracks

then bend broken peices and score glue with craft knife blade

works easiest for me

don't forget the H&S when handling glass :wink:

thats the way

use a stiff back rasor blade as they are thinner

see your local glass company as they will stock them

Heated fuse wire or just the wire?

I have got heaps of fuse wire.

If heated wire, then a 9V battery?

Silicone is pretty heat resistant, so heat wouldn't be very useful. But if you really wanted... You'd probably want something more along the lines of a 12v car battery, 9v batteries are absolutely pathetic for current and capacity. Use the nichrome wire from an old heater.:)

the cuts on my hands came from using a craft knife with the snap off blades :evil:

sad thing about it is after the first time it happened i did the same thing a couple of years later and cut the same spot :oops:

seperating 2 10mm glass plates with a craft knife and brute force is a recipe for disaster

Heated fuse wire or just the wire?

I have got heaps of fuse wire.

If heated wire, then a 9V battery?

the way that a fuse works is by getting hot and melting if theres toomuch current through it, if you stuck it across a battery it will most likely melt, depending on fuse rateing.

but with removing the pannel i just broke a tank down useing a standard craft knife and just slowly worked my way around it, cutting out the fillets first then squesing the blade between the bits of glass, making the cuts even on both sides of the glass on the way down, if that makes sence.....

LMAO I did that. Many times.

There's nothing quite like a sparking paper clip in a socket during maths class to freak the reliever teacher out.

Connect a paper clip from each end of a pencil to the socket and the pencil will catch fire