Canister problem

Morcs

My 1 month of Aquaone CF1200 is giving me some problems.

Every ten minutes or so it makes a noise - like its de-pressurizing or something.

Ive had it apart 3 times this week, made sure all the o-rings between baskets are sealing properly etc, removed, cleaned and checked the impeller, and the same with all the hoses.

Is this normal, if not, what causes it?

It sounds like air in the canister body.

Gently shake it left-right front-back and that should get all the air bubbles out.

More air will build up, but it should only be a small amount.

I have six CF1200's I think they are a good filter.

Check your intake valve. Sometimes you will have a loose connection, allowing air in.

Make sure the screw parts are done up tight.

I have found that the self-prime mechanism wears out and sometimes leaks too.

Your lfs will stock replacement O-rings for these parts if need be.

It sounds like air in the canister body.

Gently shake it left-right front-back and that should get all the air bubbles out.

More air will build up, but it should only be a small amount.

I have six CF1200's I think they are a good filter.

Check your intake valve. Sometimes you will have a loose connection, allowing air in.

Make sure the screw parts are done up tight.

I have found that the self-prime mechanism wears out and sometimes leaks too.

Your lfs will stock replacement O-rings for these parts if need be.

as said above, a couple of mine are doing it at the moment and need replacement o rings.

Every ten minutes or so it makes a noise - like its de-pressurizing or something.

Ive had it apart 3 times this week, made sure all the o-rings between baskets are sealing properly etc, removed, cleaned and checked the impeller, and the same with all the hoses.

Depressurising? What's the sound like? Gurgling? Does it blow bubbles out of the spray bar when it does it? If it is, could be sucking air in somewhere. The connections between the elbow joints on the intake would be my first guess. This is assuming you've cleared the obvious like an airstone near the intake so it's sucking in bubbles.

It could be an air lock.

Try lying in it on its side while its still running with the inlet and outlet facing the ground then very slowly (over a minute or two) bring it back up to its normal position.

This can purge the air from the system.

It could be an air lock.

Try lying in it on its side while its still running with the inlet and outlet facing the ground then very slowly (over a minute or two) bring it back up to its normal position.

This can purge the air from the system.

Will give this a go later. cheers.

I tried everything else, checked and tightened all hoses and locks on the intake side of things to no avail. rocking the unit around causes the noise to be made instantly. My output rate is still good though.

mmm so everything seems fine. Have checked and tightened all connections. Have unassembled and reassembled unit, have knocked it around, lay on its side etc and hasnt fixed it.

Anyway, Apart from the noise being slightly annoying, it surely cant be bad? putting oxygen into the water I mean.

sometimes too tight a fitting can cause a small leak on o rings, i run all aqua ones and have no problems

o rings must be free from any dust etc or no small tears or nicks on them

are all pipes 100% secure, air in system usually comes on the inflow side

Seems I found the problem - the o-ring that seals between the top basket and powerhead - when I assemble the unit, I used to have the oring on the head, but by fitting it to the basket, then putting the head on worked.

Cheers for the help guys. I have a whisper quiet filter now :D