Tank background + pics

si_sphinx

I thought everyone would like to see some pics of the background i have started to make from polystyrene...

I know i like seeing other peoples DIY jobs :D

3072.jpg

3073.jpg

3076.jpg

3078.jpg

3079.jpg

3081.jpg

I used a bread knife to cut the general shape out and then used a spoon :lol:

The spoon seemed to work well to give the rock texture i was after.

Now i just need to decide if i'm going to concrete it or paint it....

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Its for a 1200x600x600 cichlid aquarium.

Ive used a combination of purple and white polystyrene, the purple seems to be harder than the white stuff and took ages to shape.

Ive read that other people have used acrylic paint so i would probably use that and final coat of resin or similar to seal it all.

But I'm kind of leaning more towards concrete to make it look more like rock but still find some way of sealing it so i dont have the concrete leaching chemicals into the water. which is also an advantage of paint,no chemical leaching after a few tanks of water to wash it out....? difficult decision i say. :x

Yes it is all glued together at the moment but will be cut to fit in the tank when it comes time to fitting. and it will cover full length of back and one side of tank.

Im thinking i might make one for my new tank thats goin in the corner :o:)

will it be siliconed in place? I'd love to make one but can just imagine it pinging off and floating away...

Yes it will be when i get around to covering it and putting it in the tank

i spent another hour on it after work today and put 2 hidey holes and another cave

4002.jpg

4004.jpg

Hard to see in pics

polys easy to get. you just got to buy the bigger pices, you can cut up poly boxes and use them, theyre easy enough to get. i got a lot of poly boxes from my partners work, a hotel with a resturant.

I find it a bit hard to believe that you made that texture useing a spoon. its looks so good.

Wow! :o

Very nice. Any particular place you're getting instructions off?

Would like to make one and need a step by step guide.

Thanks

I'm not following any instructions, ive just done research on the net about it and just gone from there with my own ideas.

Its easier to start off with heaps of different tools to find out which works best for you to give the effect you want.

Ive started using a fork now to do finer details of rock shapes to get a more natural look.

When ive finished i will try to get step by step instructions put together including pictures if any one is interested...?

I coated mine with a product called Cemix patch.

It is like concrete but very fine texture.

I made a really runny mix and poured it all over and into the caves.

Gave it several coats and then cut out the back to reduce the bouyancy.

I saw the Cemix Patch in Bunnings the other day.

I coated mine with a product called Cemix patch.

It is like concrete but very fine texture.

I made a really runny mix and poured it all over and into the caves.

Gave it several coats and then cut out the back to reduce the bouyancy.

I saw the Cemix Patch in Bunnings the other day.

Yes thats what im going to use as well, but im thinking about painting a little on it too.

I know you can get colour oxides to mix in with the concrete but i feel i can control paint a bit better.

WEKA, im interested to know how long it took to clean it before it was fish safe and how you went about it?

Im still detailing it a bit better before i start covering it.

I always have to have things perfect and every time i look at it i find something else wrong with it :x

Im trying for as natural look as possible