I Builted Something!

twinkles

And furthermore, its straight and square and strong looking.

/Me is pleased :)

I did have some help drilling the screws in though, would have taken me too long to balance the bits of wood and do it by myself.

Bottom is just storage, i hate low to the ground tanks, first shelf up will be two 2ft tanks, second shelf four 1ft tanks, top shelf hatching baby killies maybe? Not sure yet.

Its hard to see against the white wall, but the back is filled in with poly, and the ceiling, will do all the sides and the shelves tomorrow, then cover the outside with plywood over the poly. Then have to make doors to close on it at night, and get the power man to put a plug on the wall above where it will go. Hopeing it will be insulated enough to run two heaters on the bottom shelf and heat the tanks above, and economic.

DSCF6014.JPG

Lol yup its good quality carpet, i've got it covering my whole house. When I first moved in I hated it, but now i've got used to how bright it is I like it. Good thick nz wool for the -5 nights, and it hides the fur from two huge dogs and 4 cats :)

Nice job twinkles 8)

Manufactured by Marlin Carpets in Christchurch I would think. Axminster no doubt and pure wool including Drysdale. They were the days.

My Dad loves the stuff, it used to be bread and butter for our family :lol: ....he worked at Marlin Carpets for years :wink:

haven't had much time to work on it, and its sloow when i do with two little people helping.

but its nearly finished none the less.

inside of the back and two sides are filled in with 40mm poly, think there's enough left for under the tanks too.

Back and one side have seratone (plastic coated hardboard) for the outside cover

(taken off the bathroom when i decided to renovate it, must finish that...)

Cut the piece for the other side, but have to slide in the longest tank through the end before i screw it on. Top has seratone too.

Doors for the front are made, timber frames with seratone inside, then poly, then plywood outside, will open from the middle.

Still to make a little door for the bottom part, will open down to the floor, for storage space.

Tomorrow just have to slide the tank in, screw on the side, screw on the doors, make the bottom door, stick in the airlines and taps, line up the beam in the wall to bolt it to at the top, then it should be done and i can add the other tanks.

Can't wait :)

Think it will be insulated enough to just have heaters in the bottom tanks?

wow, we could start a crazy carpet club :bounce:

now who can beat my kitchen carpet - its the one part of the house with a different pattern, and it goes right up to the bench, ick.

DSCF3721.JPG

Nice catpet. :lol:

lol go for it, its wonderful stuff

when i eventually recarpet the place i'll be putting it over the old stuff, can't give up that extra thick warm wool when i haven't got enough space for underfloor insulation.

-6 here this morning, its only the start of winter :-?

our spare room has a few mm's solid ice on the inside of the windows, frozen condensation :o

the 6 upright poles are 2x4, the cross beams are 2x3. I had planned to use 2x4 crossbeams and 4x4 uprights, but the wood guy was certain that smaller would be easily strong enough, so i went with his recommendation, hope its strong enough when the tanks are full. Each shelf will only have to hold about 120kgs so should be fine, plus it has the hardboard back and sides to help support it.

I went with a big stand for just a few tanks so i could fit more insulation and a bit of storage space in, i've still got plenty more space in my room for more tanks.

Just been putting the rest of the tanks in and filling them slowly, using water just under the temp i want, will turn the two heaters on then see how warm the top tanks are by tomorrow morning before i consider putting anything in them.

sorry not really a DIY person here but i guess that's the whole reason of me being in this forum... from the photo that i've seen so far, isn't it a lil difficult to get your arm above the tanks? seems like quite a small space.

it is small, the one error i made in the design was that i measured out the shelf heights without taking into account the width of the cross beams taking up a fair bit of height. But having used it for a few days now i can say its enough space to do everything easily, a few cm less and it would be a mission but there's just enough space to get your arm into the tanks on the middle shelf, more space on the others, and the daily water changes, feeding are easy without having to stick your arm in anyway. Have got 3 of the middle tanks in and filled, sitting on constant 20deg, bottom tanks are 26 with the heaters so i'm fairly pleased with the heat keeping. Just chucked a spare tank on the top, will fill that today and see what temp it sits on up there.

Will grab some more photos later