big fish tank for a cafe?

elusive_fish

Hi,

I'm opening a cafe in Christchurch on June 27th and I'm seriously considering putting a big fish tank in the place as a point of interest. Something in the order of 250cm long x 80cm wide x 60cm high = 1200 litres. I really like the idea of putting the right in the middle as kind of a divider - and this means that people could sit on every side of it. Id imagine the only way I could provide power would be to drop a line down from the ceiling. Maybe incorporating it into a false colum

What do you guys think of the idea?

How would I run filtration? How would I be able to hide any pipes as much as possible, but not limit viewing?

What kind of lighting would I put on it? Any additional thoughts/insights/comments are most welcome

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if you run the electrics through the floor boards, then all the electrics can be under the tank in an accessible corner in the stand. (check with the insurance company for compliance, etc and all that bureaucratic rubbish).

filtration can be under the tank, in the stand too.

couple of FX5's and a sump and you should be sweet.

(over filter cause then you won't have to spend as much time maintaining the tank - which can be awkward as it will have to be done outside of business hours).

If you are going to have a false beam for power, you could incorporate the end of the tank into it.

Then have a dark divider overflow, with plumbing running down to a sump/wet/dry filter.

I imagine you will need suspended lights also.

Ones with fins so the light doesn't spill out into the dinners eyes who are sitting below it.

Either that or suspend the lights into a hood on top of the tank.

HFF in albany sounds like they have the sort of setup that you would be after, their sump overflow is in the middle of their big display tank with all the gear underneath hidden, not sure where the lighting comes from tho.

tree trunk would look cool!

you could make a big hollow fake tree, with the roots in the tank, filter bits hidden away between them, and the trunk going up to the ceiling with the cables in it.

but thats probably far too expensive :(

Central sump doesnt sound to hard nor does having a collum at one end ( think redwoods African tank out the back).

eddie himsel had a very nice marine tank in his shop years ago that was walk around and it used a central sump system and had suspended lights.

Very nice set up

Glass safety factor needs to be VERY high and tank needs to be moderately high to stop sticky fingers etc.

You can make a central core of rock and background to keep light and provide interest.

remember you will need to water change and clean and WAY over filter to help with maintainance so even a 10% water change is a couple of hundred liters

Can one of the more technically minded people here help me my drawing what the sump design would look like? would the heaters be in the sump tank? If anyone can give specific ideas about filtration methods and lights I would be very appreciative.

This was what I was thinking of

fishtanksump.jpg

good pic oeminx,

personally i would add 2 heaters to the tank itself, if return pump turnd off the tank will still stay warm

also add a powerhead to tank to increase watr flow in tank and lower water level in sump to accomodate extra inflow if pump turns off

baffles in sump could be moved to one end or a wet dry tower added to the sump

just a personal opinion

bigger sump means more total water in system,

same as top tank but lower water level would be ideal

Eek! a 2.5m long sump tank? I liked the 4ft idea a lot more :)

I really like the idea of doing this, but taking the time to understand the design and requirements might be the killer. I get posession of the cafe in just over 3 weeks and in the mean time I have to negotiate the lease, determine the branding, design the interior layout and colour, modify the kitchen, set up the business, determine the menu, organise suppliers... and for the next week and a half, still doing my regular job :o

I don't mean to sound lazy, but it would really help me if the kind people on here can post specific links to products (with prices, if possible)

The other big question, is that if I can pull this off what kind of fish to put in? My natural lean is malawi cichlids, as they are not only colourful but are active and full of personality. I know it would probably be a shame to have such a big tank without big fish, but things like arrowanas and oscars do nothing for me. Giant gouramis tend to be characters from what ive seen.

Get a million DEmasoni's and electric yellows, lol.. the colour contrast is a true spectacle.

if you buy the fish from breeders, you may be looking at under $6per dem and under $5 per e. yellow. course you can add other fish too, male peacocks (colour) and red zebras.

you will need a lot of fish though :o

Another idea I just thought of, instead of one big tank in the middle of the room.

What about I put two three 4ft tanks end-on-end. That way I could put three different displays with different types of fish/aquascapes in each. I could either do this in the middle of hte place, so that tables etc could be arranged on all sides, or at a wall for higher bar seeting in front of it.

What do you guys think would be the most visually appealing?