big fish tank for a cafe?

elusive_fish

Ive played around with carving poly and got some pleasing shapes. Ive read about coating the final creation in epoxy resin and covering in sand while still wet... but I still dont know what glue to use to laminate a couple thicknesses of the polystyrene together. Anyone know what is safe?

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

100mm x 100mm posts for legs

bolted with 10mm or 12mm galv bolts countersunk

to 1500 x 50mm dressed for top runners and 100 x 50 for bottom rails

25mm tanalised ply for base board for tank

built to hold 3,000l of water

tankbase.jpg

the wheels are just to move while working on the tank

put in some diagonals as your base will be taller

I've started carving a big chunk o' poly to make a rock looking centre piece for the tank. Would dems/yellows/peacocks look better in front of a dark rock? Anyone in chch know where I can get some very fine dark sand?

Also, is this epoxy resin suitable for adhering the sand? http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/Boats-marine/Parts-accessories/Other/auction-221596026.htm

Thanks again to all those helping me with this crazy project!

i asked the question for you on the auction :D

painting the poly first with water based paint then applying the resin and scattering sand on top worked for me

their is a good thread for false rock building in the technical section

Thanks for asking, I just did too before checking back here. They will probably be wondering why two different people are interesting in an odd application :)

Did you paint it first so that any gaps in the sand dont show through as white?

100mm x 100mm posts for legs

bolted with 10mm or 12mm galv bolts countersunk

to 1500 x 50mm dressed for top runners and 100 x 50 for bottom rails

25mm tanalised ply for base board for tank

built to hold 3,000l of water

tankbase.jpg

the wheels are just to move while working on the tank

put in some diagonals as your base will be taller

hi what are those carsters rated at?

hi what are those carsters rated at?

Probably not the 400kg they would need to be if the stayed on what the tank was full. I believe that are just there while the tank is being built, "the wheels are just to move while working on the tank".

Rather than start new threads I may as well ask all my projecr related questions here.

The poly background I am carving is coming along nicely. Now I just need to figure out what colour sand to coat it in. I basically have three options:

1/ Mid grey/greywacke sand as found on the local beach

2/ tan/limestone sand. The stuff they use as grout when bricking houses looks like it would work nicely.

3/ Black/iron sand like found on the west coast.

I've read people on here saying that fish look better on a dark background... but would iron sand be too dark? The limestone sand would look closest to their natural environment...not that any of my fish would have seen it!

What do you guys think?

I'm a bit concerned about how much natural light would be on the aquarium. its a gorgeous day in Christchurch I just went down to the cafe I'm buying. The place is on the south side of an east-west road, so its outdoor area and shop front gets all year round sun. At this time of year the sun streams in the bifolds at the front. Great for people at the tables. Not good for a fishtank. Id imagine the sun is close to being about as low on the horizon as it gets, so its at its worst at this stage.

But how much of a problem would all this natural light be? Would it wash out the aquarium light and stop the fish from looking good, or would it just make algae run rampant?

• 4 weeks later...