'So it stood ninety years on the floor'

Stretch

Hello People,

First post ever and i'm new to this computer stuff so bear? with me...

I've just got this huuuuge tank, well I got it about 3 weeks ago which seems like ages... I think it's huge and i'm pretty excited but at the same time nervous 'cause of the weight issue amongst other things. I don't have a stand for it and it will have to wait till I know what to get and more importantly how to pay for it (yeah boring I know). I've seen lots of stands on the internet and no, I will not build one muself,I know my limits. I've seen and enquired about lots of stands over the phone and in shops. I've pretty much committed to a stand to be made by a local cabinet maker it's to be made of macrocarpa bringing the total weight to about 900kgs!!!, when the tank is full.

Anyway just letting you know i'm here and looking forward to chatting wiv you all.

Hello again,

And thank you for your kind words of welcome. I think i've got the underfloor support sorted. I climbed under there a few times and put an extra five, 6 or 8 inch posts under the bearers. The architect when I quized him said put two so I think five should do it but I still feel nervous. The posts are supported on concrete squares and nailed to the top, correctly I think. The floor itself however is 20mm particle board so the stand, whether it's timber or steel, whatever, will have to have some load spreading qualities to the design.

The tank is 1800L x 600W x 630Deep, it's huge. The glass is 10mm but for the back for some reason which is 12mm. I missed out on a complete set up, 4ft x18inch x 18inch tank, stand/cabinet and everything else but fish on trademe and got this one on the rebound. I'll keep you posted.

Wow MysticVampyre, Your tank must be ginormous. What dimensions and what fish do you have in it?

and Caper i'll send some photos just as soon as my daughters get some batteries for their camera. It'll just be an empty tank mind, not verrry exciting.

• 3 weeks later...