Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

oh i put wood in the tank. its under some of the rock so the fish have access to that.

the food is tetramin tablets and hikari for bottom feeders with wood in it. zucchini is in the tank as we speak, lol.. my africans and the other plecos in there love that stuff :bounce: :bounce:

Thanks for wonderful fish, they are wonderfully conditioned.

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:wink: Many thanks! Im so happy with all the fish I have managed to get till today. All the new fish are 100% off people from here. :bow: :bounce:

Even better - proves there are plenty of people being successful with their breeding :) Im still waiting on hearing back regarding the dolomite rock i want for my tank but its dragging on so long i may have to change my ideas on that unfortunately. Thats another story though - meantime I can wait since your tank is inspiration enough to me to get mine right first time.

Look who came to pig out for a bit today.

DSC05207Small.jpg

It is so out of character for these guys not to eat small fish, but he leaves even the smallest of lumphead cichlids alone, and they swim by his side and eat up all the fragments of food he throws around.

depending on the minerals present when it was formed it can be shades of white, pink, grey or brown

mine is a cream colour, it came off the west coast of the south island somewhere

Hi - cream colour would be great if I could get hold of some - how did you get yours ? I read the following on a website when I was researching the stuff - "Golden Bay Dolomite is a 100% New Zealand owned company. We are situated at the foot of Mount Burnett, in Golden Bay. Our quarry is the only source of commercially available Dolomite in New Zealand" So if there are other ways of getting hold of it from other sources I would be chuffed :)

i have had it for about 11 years, it came from the local rock shop, i got the left overs of a palette someone had bought for a house front entrance

not quite the same but there are a few coastal limestone formations around nz that are interesting looking :wink:

i have had it for about 11 years, it came from the local rock shop, i got the left overs of a palette someone had bought for a house front entrance

not quite the same but there are a few coastal limestone formations around nz that are interesting looking :wink:

Cool, i will have to do a bit more digging, so to speak, lol.

they are the nicest bristlenoses i have seen ! That tank is rapidly becoming a masterpiece !

(I have 60 odd left, Pickup from Lower Hutt, at this rate I will probably be able to split them off into pairs for selling. Some of the older ones are 6months+ now)

I wonder if Hutt Pet wants some more?

Today I got the biggest, mega-est, massiveist B/N ever!

this guy is huge!!!!!!! about 15-18 cm long!

Got him from wetpets in PN for $25, I thought it was a bargain!

I even put more wood in the tank for them just in case.

DSC05257Small.jpg

DSC05259Small.jpg

DSC05262Small.jpg

I have called him Optimus Prime :D I never thought they would have gotten this big :o

• 2 weeks later...

Disaster

I wasn't going to post this publicly but im hoping this will make others more aware. Tank disaster. I did my normal water change and somehow the heater came lose in the socket. then i ran to work and came back only at night - fed the fish - slept, woke up the next day, chucked some food in the tank as i was in a real hurry to get to work - noticed the fish were hiding but didnt have the time to stay and see what was going on. came back home from work at about 9pm (work doesn't go on till 9) and noticed the fish were still hiding, but all alive. touched the tank, and it was cold as ever.

propped up the aquaminder and it said the tank was at 17 degrees. the low temp alert had been reset somehow, or it would have beeped the house down until someone rectified the problem.

raised the temp to 25 over the next 10 -11 hours or so (all at night) but the next evening(yesterday, after another day at work (temp now at its normal 27)) i had to fish out 10 big e yellow bodies. and my alpha male demasoni. this morning there is another dead dem, with what looks like potentially another fatality but im not giving up hope on that one.

All the plecos and catfish are fine. Bristlenoses are fine and have eaten well. there are 5 yellows left - all happy now. clown loaches are also happy.

Least to say this has not been a good couple of days.

to add salt to the wound - I have another good 200W heater that i could not put in the tank, set at a lower temp (as a backup in the event of such a disaster) - as the flatmates do not grasp the concept of a thermostat :evil: . it goes with out saying that the other heater is now in the tank and set at 23-24 degrees.

so im hoping this will highlight the importance of having a backup heater set a a lower temp - it does not consume more power as the whole point of that heater is never to come on. if it comes on - it means the temp has dropped too much - but it will save your fish.

would hate for anyone else to lose fish in this way.

Thanks to those who got me to post this here, you know who you are :hail:

:o:( Sorry to hear about your loss :cry: What brand of heater was it? Those tronic ones are the best ones I've ever had.

That BN looks awesome. The biggest I've ever had is 16cms and he died recnetly but I still have a 14cm+ female.

so do you guys just turn up with fish and auction them off? or is it pre-arranged?

You just turn up with whatever you want to sell with a list of what it is then it gets auctioned off. I think 10% goes to the club or something like that.

it is a jager 300 W. the heater works brilliantly, its just i plugged in a powerhead to move debris away from the nooks and crannies and when i removed it i think i dislodged the heater plug. the backup heater is a 200W fluval tronic.

I managed to measure the bn the other day as he was eating a courgette (a whole thing by him self, that glutton). 18 cm long and 4.5 cm wide at the head :o

Why were you not going to post it?

I dunno. for a while there i was going to pack it all in, sell the fish, re home the ones i was attached to like the butterfly pleco and the clown loaches. pleco would have gone to some one who could have bred him (least there is one female in the country that i know of).

get a couple of axolotls or something like that :(

but then lots of people on here and else where managed to screw my head back on. :bow: so a big thank you to them.