Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My fish arrived!

the water in the bags was so cold, I felt sorry for them. the yellows look happy and the dems look like they were scraping in the bags :o silly fish. They are all in the tank now. :bounce:

terrible pics I know, but ill take a million more when they are happier and know their surroundings well.

DSC04917Small.jpg

DSC04920Small.jpg

Already looking good - hope they make a fast recovery from their journey - how long from when they were packed, and how many heat pads were used? Was it just in one box, and what size was it ? Just asking so I can consider making arrangements to ensure the water does not get so cold when I have mine sent down :)

Already looking good - hope they make a fast recovery from their journey - how long from when they were packed, and how many heat pads were used? Was it just in one box, and what size was it ? Just asking so I can consider making arrangements to ensure the water does not get so cold when I have mine sent down :)

It was overnight courier. reached in the morning, before I woke up, lol. - so about 15 - 18 hours.

1 box - standard cardbox box size :o lined with thick poly. a poly box will do too - but the cardboard version works really well too.

1 heatpad use 2 if not sure, especially if the box is going to the SI where its colder than palmy.

5 small bags in one box. normally people use tall thin bags filled with air. about 8 fish on avg in each bag. double pack the bags.

Oh and label it fragile and live tropical fish a million times on the outside, lol.

Aww don't they look just CUTE :bow:

You'll have to take pic's of when they've settle in better :D

I shall take millions :D :bounce:

Looking good dude.

Thanks! I still have 2 small crypts floating in the tank, as i can't bear to part with all the plants. :lol:

It was overnight courier. reached in the morning, before I woke up, lol. - so about 15 - 18 hours.

1 box - standard cardbox box size :o lined with thick poly. a poly box will do too - but the cardboard version works really well too.

1 heatpad use 2 if not sure, especially if the box is going to the SI where its colder than palmy.

5 small bags in one box. normally people use tall thin bags filled with air. about 8 fish on avg in each bag. double pack the bags.

Oh and label it fragile and live tropical fish a million times on the outside, lol.

Cheers - is there any mileage in insulating each bag with a wrap of newspaper ? Do the heat pads go at the side, on top, or where, and can they come into contact with the bags or should they be separate ? Trying to work out the very best way of doing it -

nahh you just crack the heatpad (don't break it) and chuck it in with the fish bags. If you reuse heatpads, chuck them in the microwave and chuck them in - not so effective on long journeys. no point in wrapping the bags in paper; however ensuring the poly box is completely sealed is the best thing.

:bounce: :bounce: Little piggies are already eating! :bounce: :bounce:

Just put some spirulina flake in a syringe and injected it into the tank, and they went wild.

I think I see the dominant ones already - brightly coloured and attempting to claim territory.

billy,jimmy,timmy,johnny,jerry,darthvader,bill,bob,bobby,benny,billy2,jimmy2,timmy2,johnny2,jerry2,darthvader2,bill2,bob2,bobby2,benny2,billy3,jimmy3,timmy3,johnny3,jerry3,darthvader3,bill3,bob3,bobby3,benny3,billy4,jimmy4,timmy4,johnny4,jerry4,darthvader4,bill4,bob4,bobby4,benny4

Awesome stuff.

So what are there names? :o

billy,jimmy,timmy,johnny,jerry,darthvader,bill,bob,bobby,benny,billy2,jimmy2,timmy2,johnny2,jerry2,darthvader2,bill2,bob2,bobby2,benny2,billy3,jimmy3,timmy3,johnny3,jerry3,darthvader3,bill3,bob3,bobby3,benny3,billy4,jimmy4,timmy4,johnny4,jerry4,darthvader4,bill4,bob4,bobby4,benny4

what he said. :D :lol:

darthvader is an awsome name! is he the most dominant one? or is that darthvader2?

named!

lol..

although i have never seen a starwars movie :o . not that i remember any how.

I shall call one pedro, one voldemort and one phoenix (all named after dead siamese fighters.. its sort of like tradition).

Wow, that looks so increadible! Great work there Phoenix! :hail:

Apologies for my ignorance but is the reason that you don't have plants because the fish will eat them?

I love the blue and yellow combination, are those fish easy to keep for relative amatures (like :oops: me)?

I reckon i could have kept plants. and trained them not to eat them. but in africa - where these guys are from there are no plants as such in lake malawi. well not that i know of any ways.

lots of rocks though, lol.. and the contrast of the dark rock with blue and yellow flashes make it look nice. more realistic this way too. and its a change for me too :D :bounce:

I haven't kept dems before, but yellows are easy as ever to keep. dems are ok in big groups or they will fight until there is only 1 left if you have only small groups, or few fish.

all fish are easy to keep if you take care of the water conditions. :bounce: