Tank Setup Log. Conversion from S.American To African

phoenix44

• Replies 323
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

LOL the other day I was eating a sandwich in front of the african tank ... and they were looking at me, thinking they were getting feed to .. so I chucked in a piece of bread and they gobbled that up, but I don't think bread would be any good for them though :o

How did you end up keeping your rocks clean from algae Phoenix?

lol.. I put in 3 GAE's and 3 Ottos.

While the GAE's are fantastic at eating algae - they aren't the most social of all fish :lol: they can be pretty stroppy. even though mine are youngish they chase each other from time to time. occasionally chase the dems too :o :-?

Ottos are really peaceful but need to be in groups. ill try getting for my tank. im looking at a total of 6 maybe. 3 seem to be happy too always hang out together.

try bristlenoses, mine is a busybody but i am unsure if he is eating algae or just generally rasping.

LOL the other day I was eating a sandwich in front of the african tank ... and they were looking at me, thinking they were getting feed to .. so I chucked in a piece of bread and they gobbled that up, but I don't think bread would be any good for them though :o

lol. you fed them bread? hahahaha i bet they loved that.

Yeah unsure how good for them bread is, from memory it can swell and cause obstructions that way.. Mine get all veges you can think of carrots, beans, peas, broccoli, lettuce etc.. Then I blend most of the veges with shrimp to make a frozen mix too.

I've got one bristlenose pleco, maybe I need a couple.

What is a GAE? :oops:

A GAE is a golden algae eater as seen here. That's a pic of one of mine 8)

There is some one selling bristlenoses in welly at the moment. They seem really good. I'm getting 4 and my flat mate is getting 4! :lol: Its in the trade section on here.

Yeah unsure how good for them bread is, from memory it can swell and cause obstructions that way.. Mine get all veges you can think of carrots, beans, peas, broccoli, lettuce etc.. Then I blend most of the veges with shrimp to make a frozen mix too.

I am getting very good at making that frozen mix now - the all the fish love it :hail:

lol no need to buy it just make your own.. Shrimp + cooked veges + gelatine + garlic blend it up until the pieces are small enough flatten it out in fishbags and snap off pieces as you want its awesome and my fish have had it as their staple diet for ages :)

I think I should get 4 or 7 more Mel. They look happy. even came to eat their hikari today :D . they are being watered well too. they seem a little scared though, but they camouflage with the rock so well its hard to see them sometimes.

12 or 15 of them is a good number, and if that get to be too many I can always remove some when they are older. Such a cute fish though :bounce: :hail: