Daphnia...

JazzyJeff

A container/bucket of aged water is all that needed.

Feed them dissolved yeast or green water.

I found mine in a farm trough.Pays to let the culture mature several times before harvesting for food supply in case of nasties. Had the culture for a year or so now, still going strong. I have three main plastic bins with several smaller green water making buckets. The fish love them.

Best way to gut load them is by feeding them spirulinar powder dissolve in half a bucket of water first. That way you get live food and natural colour enhancer too.

Where do you get you spirilina powder from Ron?

Ive never tried that before with spirilina

I've tried to keep a daphnia culture going a couple of times with no luck. I was wondering how sensitive to temperature fluctuations they are?

I only had them in a 10L bucket outside which probably got quite hot in the sun at times, and quite cold at night. Although both times the culture died was during summer in Tauranga, so I don't think they got too cold.

Would it be better to have them inside, or in a larger volume of water outside that didn't change temp so much or so quickly?

• 1 month later...

I just fill a container outside with water then leave it and wait.

Others get some from people with an established colony.

If you know someone with stock troughs, check 'em out. They are often full of daphnia, especially if they have been unused by stock for some time.

Daphnia do not seem to travel well and I have always found they die very quickly when transported in a small lidded container.

I just fill a container outside with water then leave it and wait.

Others get some from people with an established colony.

If you know someone with stock troughs, check 'em out. They are often full of daphnia, especially if they have been unused by stock for some time.

Daphnia do not seem to travel well and I have always found they die very quickly when transported in a small lidded container.

Caryl, are you SURE you get daphnia?

Because they are a fully aquatic creature and i dont see how they would get from a river to a container at your house lol