Is there a way to syphon clean my tank using less water?

AquaVitamins

Heyy, i was just think about how fast the water leaves the tank when Im doing a gravel clean and water change. What could i do to slow the water speed, but still have a good enough suck to clean with?

I was thinking of using a thinner tube, like an airline or something, but with a larger attachment on the end.

Any ideas?

or buy a battery powered one with a sock over the outlet and lose no water at all.

i was just think about how fast the water leaves the tank when Im doing a gravel clean and water change.

Sorta defeats the purpose of of doing a gavel vac and a water change at the same time don't you think?

You can get a black plastic tap for the end of the hose, then u can control the flow n also stop it to move buckets (if thats how your doing it) im not sure where to get them (i got given mine) , but i think they're part of garden irrigation bits n pieces, maybe try a garden center and ask them for one to fit your hose.

hope this helps :)

I find using a narrow headed syphon the best, it'll suck a lot of gravel up into it and get clogged, but you'll be able to do the entire tank with one bucket. You just need to keep your finger over the bucket end to control the flow and stop it to let the stones fall out.

I've tried with a few different sized syphons, and the larger ones just suck ALL the water up and leave all the mulm behind - don't go for bigger if you want to reduce water use, it's the exact opposite. The diameter of the head and tube are inversely proportional to the sucking performance. If you've got a big fat head, and a thin tube then you've got very little volume of water pulling through the tube. But if you've got a narrow head and a fat tube you've got a big heavy volume of water sucking out into the bucket, and a smaller sucking area at the head.

The velocity of the water entering the siphoning end is directly proportional to the area of the opening so you need to get the right balance between the area of the opening, the size of the hose and the head of water (the difference in height between the top of the tank and the water level in the bucket).

if you increase the flow or get the flow circulating right you won't need to vac. I have two filters so i put an outlet at either end of the tank & the spraybar returns the water in the middle so all the waste gets sucked up by the filters. I don't have a vac, i used to use one in my smaller tanks but since i got my larger tank i have not done any "vaccing". I have white arogonite as a substrate so you would see if it was dirty.

Sorta defeats the purpose of of doing a gavel vac and a water change at the same time don't you think?

who said the two events have to occur at the same time ? just as long as they occur. and for the person who wants to be as meticulous about the gravel cleaning as aquavitimins, it seems a good option.

if you increase the flow or get the flow circulating right you won't need to vac. I have two filters so i put an outlet at either end of the tank & the spraybar returns the water in the middle so all the waste gets sucked up by the filters. I don't have a vac, i used to use one in my smaller tanks but since i got my larger tank i have not done any "vaccing". I have white arogonite as a substrate so you would see if it was dirty.

i reckon you would be amazed at how small particles can get underneath the substrate and form a sludge. IMO not vaccing gravel is risky.

i reckon you would be amazed at how small particles can get underneath the substrate and form a sludge. IMO not vaccing gravel is risky.

i have not gravel vaced for maybe 3 years & haven't lost a fish from that tank due to illness. I have only lost 1 or 2 fish from this tank but that was due to injuries from other fish.

the substrate, being bright white shows all specs of dirt & there simply are none. With the fish swimming around they also stir up the water & as the particles float around the flow sends them to the filter.

i have not gravel vaced for maybe 3 years & haven't lost a fish from that tank due to illness. I have only lost 1 or 2 fish from this tank but that was due to injuries from other fish.

the substrate, being bright white shows all specs of dirt & there simply are none. With the fish swimming around they also stir up the water & as the particles float around the flow sends them to the filter.

Im impressed ! :D And amazed :-? And i DO believe if it aint broke dont fix it so if it works for you all good. May not work for everyone though.

the plant roots convert the nitrogenous compounds and use them up. they also use up a ton of the nitrates.

I don't think ive siphoned my tank in over a year... even when i moved house, and shifted the tank - the gravel still stayed there.water changes are far more fun when you dont have to muck around with the gravel :lol:

the muck in the gravel are great ferts too.

the plant roots convert the nitrogenous compounds and use them up. they also use up a ton of the nitrates.

I don't think ive siphoned my tank in over a year... even when i moved house, and shifted the tank - the gravel still stayed there.water changes are far more fun when you dont have to muck around with the gravel :lol:

the muck in the gravel are great ferts too.

Is there a certain percentage of covering you need, or are specific plants more suitable ?