HAS ANYONE GROWN AN ANTHURIUM IN THEIR TANK??

tracytrout

Just out of curiosity has anyone grown an Anthurium in their tank and if you did how successfully did it grow? Just about to rescape my 4ft and keen to try something new APART FROM the triffids (Marbled Queen Sword) I grew last year lol :o:wink::D

Yes! With Mothers Day just round the corner the one in the pic above is in all the flower shops/supermarkets and thought it would look great but would prefer to find out first from anyone if they've actually grown one in their tank successfully... :hail: Anyone?? :bow:

It will do the same a Peace Lillies do in the tank.

It is a terrestrial plant so therefore will mot survive being submersed. Will prob last several weeks, but then slowly start to rot and die.

Good luck, let us know how you get on

If you are looking for a large spectacular plant that does not grow massively out of the water like marble queen, try Echinodorus uraguayensis. It remains submersed and looks like a giant vallisneria. Grew to about 600mm in my 500mm high tank but remained submersed. Not that easy to propagate so not common.

Thanks Alan - Googled the E. Uraguayensis which looks great and might consider for background but want more bushier plant with rounded leaves :wink:

Thanks Neon - Googled Anubias plant family and reckon there might be a variety close to what I'm after :wink: .

Going to ask at LFS about the following 2 Anubias plants but has anyone out there got them or know of anyone selling them or something very similar?:-

Heterophylla (Anubias heterphylla)

Caladiifolia (Anubias barteri v Caladiifolia)

Anthuriums (anthuria???) are sometimes sold in the $3 "Petite Pot" size grade at the red shed and garden centres. The suppliers seem to rotate what they send. You can get Syngonium and so on in that grade too. I suspect none of them would last long completely immersed. Bit OT but I find that range useful for landscaping my whistlies' :bounce: habitat (I am told "paludarium" is the correct term but they are Australians and have trouble understanding words like that).

Peace lillies and the such wer paladial (spelling) plants i thought so can tolerate being submersed for 6-9 mths but do not do that well as they need dry time as well.

Great for short term or High planting where the leaves are exposed.

Might work with this ...just roate the plants in and out of the tank maybe?

Navarre

Thanks Dixon, Darkfur and Navarre...might get some small Anthuriums from Red Shed to put in plant tank in garage and experiment but keep looking for something of same bushiness and leaf shape that can stay longish term in my 4ft....all suggestions gratefully received :wink::D