I am Weasel! - Not

livingart

wednesday morning - 6 young bantams in one pen dead, 2 eaten - suspected weasel

Fenn traps out and baited around same pen

thursday morning - another pen 3 adult roosters, 3 amherst pheasants 1/2 grown (1 partially eaten) - suspected stoat, no traps sprung

changed bait, moved traps, added live cat trap with meat bait

friday morning

ferret.jpg

ferret1.jpg

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice Ferret.

And I dont say that to many blokes I can tell you!

Only one thing left to say

nasty

and I HAVE said that before as well.....lol

One of the parks down here has one as a display ...nuetered of course...as a NZ predator.

Maybe you can do same

Pity about chooks of all sorts tho..amhursts real shame

Condolenences and you cant even get a good feed of a feret

Nav

awwww....

that ferret is adorable!!!! look at that cute face.

u killed it? :o:(:(

but im sorry to hear about all the stuff it killed.. v v sad. :(:(

guess it shouldn't have killed your stuff.

How can you say that when they are such a pest?

Thats like saying possums are cute

But i guess possums don't kill our iconic animal of this country

one of the worst animals here in NZ

They should be baned and those here distroyed.

They kill for fun and rearly eat what they have killed except for a quick snack every now and then

10 years ago, I had 23 racing pigeons killed by a young ferret that got into my loft. These birds were grand kids of "Champion de Bacelona" which sold to the UK for 110,000 pound so my supplier in Australia sent me a statement stating the value as well in excess of $50,000.

The owner of the ferret was planing on taking maters further as I killed the ferret straight away. When he arrive at my home wanting reimbursment, I handed him the statement of the value of the birds, he said he would see what he could do and moved out 2 days later from his rented house just around the corner.

Now if these killing machines will do this to Livingarts birds and to my raceing pigeons, what are they doing to our native birds?

Cute.... sorry mate but that would make hittler a gentleman

good work for catching it, pitty it wasn't sooner. :(

I am about to put stoat/weasel traps out now that we have our birds & this has firmly put my "a into g" to do it.

Thats like saying possums are cute

they are just before they get smoked :)

We make slippers for our kids out of their skins, they (slippers) are cute

But i guess possums don't kill our iconic animal of this country

they eat eggs of native birds etc don't they

Possums are cute...but a dead one is cuter.

And of course they dont kill native animals....they just decimate the whole underpinning of the eco system that those natives depend on.....but dont you worry that little rainbow coloured head of yours cause soon somebody will spread a deadly little biosulphate in a counrty side near you and we will all be much better off.

:evil:

Navarre

So sorry to hear about that Livingart...just awful to find all those dead birds :(

Will you put it on display as a 'predator' once its stuffed?

At the Ellerslie flower show this year they had an area with stuffed weasles , rabbits etc in various poses of eating/ destroying native birds/eggs etc to illustrate the devastation these 'cute' looking animals cause. Was quite a thought provoking way to educate I thought....tho by the time I was in that particular tent there was so much dust over everything it made them look a bit tatty..... :-?

what!

of course these mustelids kill our native birds

theres no argument about this. its common knowledge. they kill the birds not just the eggs

Ferrets were introduced to New Zealand from Europe in the 1880s, along with stoats and weasels, to control rabbits that were breeding out of control. By 1900, ferrets were well established in the wild and definitely played a role in the decline of native birds like the kiwi, weka and blue duck, and the extinction of kakapo on the mainland. Kakapo are now only found on mustelid-free islands.

In the 1980s, at least 17 ferret farms were established in Northland. When these closed down due to a downturn in the market, many ferrets escaped or were set free, contributing to the expansion of ferrets northwards into some of New Zealand's remaining prime kiwi habitat.

In addition to New Zealand's wild populations, ferrets are kept as domestic pets and farmed for export markets in Asia.

oh i like ferrets used to have pet ones

but they are naturel killers and kill for fun just like cats both big pests in nz

but was still a fun pet to have used to take him out hunting rabbits etc

where there is one there is more so keep the traps baited

awwww....

that ferret is adorable!!!! look at that cute face.

u killed it? :o:(:(

but im sorry to hear about all the stuff it killed.. v v sad. :(:(

guess it shouldn't have killed your stuff.

your obviously not studying nz conservation then :wink:

i will send the next one to you phoenix, might make a good playmate for rusty :D

traps back out for the next few weeks

reset the trap quick!

they usually have a mate and a den full of babies on the go. If you get the mate the babies will starve (sorry little ferrets, life's tough)

once you have one trapped the other is usually pretty hungry providing for the whole family and will be trapped fast

"as I said, in the right conditions and wif the right owners"

totally dissagree

As people have mentioned, they kill for fun.

Most are from responsible people that made one mistake and the ferret became free to distroy what ever it wants.

I honestly belive that the government should ban them and distroy what is already here (along with stotes and weasles)

sorry mystic but i have to agree with barrie on this one

yes they are good when handled right

but starve your ferret and see what it is like

sadly there is still a black market in these and they are still being bred and sold

once it leaves responsible hands there is no telling what happens to it

not all owners are responsible, same with cat owners

this is just one reason why we have the importation laws we have now on animals fish etc

ps - i have owned them before ad think the are an incredible animal

but they hve no place in the nz environment

Have you owned one Barrie? (Juss asking?)

No

And never would

The first experiance I had with them was an elderly couple that had had theirs for ages. It slept in their room. It killed about a dozen show budgies.

The second was a guy around the corner that I have discribed above

Makes me wonder how many Kiwis they have killed

ferrets v Kiwis.... only each person can decide the answer to that but I thinks it plain which side Im on