I am Weasel! - Not

livingart

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No

And never would

The first experiance I had with them was an elderly couple that had had theirs for ages. It slept in their room. It killed about a dozen show budgies.

The second was a guy around the corner that I have discribed above

Makes me wonder how many Kiwis they have killed

ferrets v Kiwis.... only each person can decide the answer to that but I thinks it plain which side Im on

Someone needs to genetically engineer kiwis to have claws and big teeth so they can defend themselves.

But, I guess that poses a whole other dilema...:P

It might be evil. but its still cute as lol.

i love ferrets. used to play with them all the time. then they got "banned" and now I only get to play with the occasional old one.

they have the cutest eyes, and twichy noses, and whiskers, and tongues.

their teeth are evil. but they are still cute.

send me babies mark ha ha. rusty will just get giggity gig with them, as he does other fluffy pets :o

:lol:

Navarre - I'm a he not a she or (s/he :o:o:o )

i know a guy who spent $15,000 bringing 4 pet ferrets from the uk

beautiful animals all rescued from a fur farm in the uk

probably the biggest and best coloured and furred ferrets i have seen

never attacked another animal in their lives

i built him a huge steel cage and run for them cost $3,000

used to follow his daughters all over the farm until they didn't close the door properly one day

22 mandarin and carolina wood ducks dead in the morning

that is part of nature mystic

and there is really no like or dislike about it as it balances itself out

whereas man puts the balance out

in nz man(woman included, lets share the blame) brought many animals etc to this country that are now problems

he brought rabbits for food, fur and as pets , no predators for rabbits here just the odd hawk and falcon

rabbits (surprisingly) bred like rabbits :D so he introduced mustelids to control them naturally, everyone had jobs back then no time to go shoot rabbit

the poor old native animals had no chance as they hadn't had to deal with a major ground predator before and are easier pickings than rabbits, no contest

as an example the nz and australian brown quail are taxonomically almost the same bird, the nz brown quail is thought to be almost extinct whereas the australian one is still running around nz

the possible reason is the nz quail when approached would sit still and wait for you to walk over and pick it up, easy pickings

whereas the aussie quail when approached too closely will startle and take off

2 different reactions the aussie bird evolved with a lot of ground predators with a keen sense of smell, the nz ones evolved with no ground predators (maybe the Weka) so didn't need to run

so man mucked up the balance and man needs to fix it though it is probably too costly to do nowadays

even one pregnant mustelid left is one too many

I think ferrets get an unfair deal really.

Yes they're awful pests, but when they were allowed as pets they were far more controlled than cats or rabbits, it was rare to see an undesexed one for sale, and they were less likely than kittens to run wild and establish a colony.

I owned several lovely ferrets from ferret rescue, who were all good with other animals but very carefully contained anyway, and one nasty nasty ferret from a bad background who gave me a few very painful bites, I don't doubt the last one could have survived in the wild but he couldn't have bred, and would have died off before too long.

The blame for wild ferrets lies mostly on the fur farmers, there were several farms around the country who went bust and released their stock into the wild, 100's of starving entire ferrets ready to hunt and breed.

Instead of a blanket ban, they should have enforced what was already happening, and made it illegal to own an entire ferret without a license, and had them mircochipped and registered. Most ferret owners were very responsible. Then they should have done the same thing with cats, and rabbits. I've got 22 cats here looking for homes, all because someone didn't want them anymore - they moved house, the cat had too many kittens, the novelty wore off....

All of them would be out roaming wild if we didn't trap them, and a few more controls on cat breeding and ownership would prevent it. I'd hate to see how many feral cats there are in the national parks around here.

leave the snakes out of the situation barrie :o

yes twinkles responsible owners would be ok

all because someone didn't want them anymore - they moved house, the cat had too many kittens, the novelty wore off....

i think you summed up the problem there, humans are involved

dog registration has been round awhile and we still have dogs roaming, biting and unregistered, so microchipping and registration does not fix the problem until everyone complies

and you will never get full compliance so the only thing the powers that be can do is ban completely

a ferret can't help eating to survive it is doing what comes naturally

it is not a vegetarian

Dog rego does nothing because it isn't set up to do anything, except collect money.

If you had to have a license to own an entire dog, and every dog who's owner wasn't licenced was picked up and rehomed/euthanised, it wouldn't take long before the majority of people would be desexing them, pups would all be sold desexed, dogs would be worth more with less people breeding indiscriminatly, and we'd have less problems with aggressive/wandering dogs, since most of those are un-neutered boys. Need firm laws, no second chances for people once the rules are in place, and to motivate people to dob in anyone breaking them. It sounds like too much government control, and people would hate it, but send all the dog owners who are against it to the pound to choose who gets to die that day and they would change their minds.

Anyway, to bring it back to the point, ferrets are in the same unfortunate position as alot of other animals, being hated for returning to their instincts and the wild after their owners got bored. Blame the people, not the animals.

Good on you for trapping this guy though, and i'm sure he was killed humanely.

Sorry for your losses livingart :(

I certainly do not want to debate anything about the animals the only thing I will say is that yes many kill to survive where as humans ( who are supposed to be more intelligent, compassionate, etc. etc.) will kill for no reason. That's all I wanted to say and of course sorry to livingart for his losses :-?

Caper