laregst number of babies

Guest Cam

I was just wondering what the largest number of babies that someones got from one livebearer (doesn't matter if it's a mollie, guppy swordtail, platy). The most I've got from a platy was 98 and none of them were still borns but I usually get about 40-50 out of my smaller females. So what the largest number you've ever had?

That wasn't from one of the ones I got off you but last night one of yours had 65+ babies. I'll let you know the final count when I move them to the tank with other babie platys in it.

I'm trying to perfect my own type of platy. It's a cream platy with black fins and it has an dark orange-red spot on it's back. It looks really awesome but so far I can only get cream females with black fins and the males with the red back and black fins but sometimes they come outt pure cream :-? . So 187 of them are hopefully going to be the red backed ones but not sure yet and 98 of them are going to be a orange wagtail and 66 will hopefully be apricot but not totally sure :lol:

sounds cool. do you have any photos of them?

I get worried if my platys and guppies have too many babies as I worry about what I will do with them all!

On the other hand I recently got some firemouth cichlids and feel bad as they seem to have eaten all the platy babies in that tank.... :(

This is the only photo I have but it's a young one before the red on the back fully developes (you can see the outline where it'll appear)

097.jpg

The females are in the background

At the moment some have more red than others on their back but hopefully it won't be long before I can get the females to have red on their back.

Also this is another strain which I've seemed to get pure but I need to inroduce some new blood as I'm on to the 3rd or 4th generation

083.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

This morning my big fat guppy has about 20 sitting in the bottom of the breeding net, and still quite a belly. And I thought that was amazing. So now I have about 60 guppy fry from 3 mums haha. If my guppy is as massive as she is i'd hate to see her with 100+ :o