Post pics of your african tanks

lmsmith

volatile organic compound basically nasty chemicals when you walk into a freshly painted room that smell that you can smell would be them

but im getting off topic now i have a thread in DIY called backgrounds again all about making them have to update the summary at some stage make it more conclusive there is allso some pics of it being made in the thread thinking about trying cichlids

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The back ground is made of poly covered in sand and coloured cement then painted with resin it's different shades of grey when not covered in algee.

There are tropheus, leleupi, transcriptus and bn's in there. There is also a cory sterbai and a herlequin which I used to help mature the tank before I put the rest in, I presumed they would not last but are both still going strong, look a little out of place but are ignored by the africans.

The back ground is made of poly covered in sand and coloured cement then painted with resin it's different shades of grey when not covered in algee.

There are tropheus, leleupi, transcriptus and bn's in there. There is also a cory sterbai and a herlequin which I used to help mature the tank before I put the rest in, I presumed they would not last but are both still going strong, look a little out of place but are ignored by the africans.

transcriptus, that's what they are. Animates down here has a pair and a whole lot of babies in a tank, I thought they looked really cool.

I love these tanks guys, keep 'em coming. My fish always seem to be hiding, so I figure the more rockwork the better to help them get a bit more secure.

It is awesome that's for sure stuart grant was a legend, it still doesn't say what is in the tank though?

Think I've found it ! :bounce: Second pic down on that link says "Mr. Stuart Grant himself (a legendary exporter of Malawi Cichlids) was excited about the beautiful Malawi aquarium with many colourful Aulonocara stuartgranti from Cobwe. " But I dont know enough about Aulonacara to say if it is them or not - from the pics I have seen the finnage is the wrong colour to what I have come across. :-? :-?

Is there a type or brand of resin that is better/safer to use? Do you have to do anything to is before putting it in the tank? (eg leave it to harden longer than recommended, wash off with water etc?)

That is a very nice greshakei :) They are awesome fish however I found they were the "firey ginges" of the fish world and tended to beat the snot out of everyone..

I had heard they could be trouble makers. This guy is the most well mannered cichlid I've had. He is the boss of the tank but doesn't pick on anyone or start fights. He even breaks up any fights that start between other fish by getting in the middle. It's odd to watch.

I was wondering how much of cichlid behaviour is determined by genetics and how much is the tank environment etc. Could you selectively breed for quieter or more aggressive lines?

Is there a type or brand of resin that is better/safer to use? Do you have to do anything to is before putting it in the tank? (eg leave it to harden longer than recommended, wash off with water etc?)

I just used a 2 part resin from Mitre 10 it was left for weeks to dry as I made the background before I got the tank. No I didn't wash it off just set the tank up then ran a few days with a few large water changes checking it had no effect on the ph etc before adding fish.

it must be a massive tank - didnt think they were giraffes at first purely because of the scale of things. WOW WOW WOW !

I'll go for a type of peacock, or maybe a type of Copidachromis.

Once my tank settles down I will take pics of my display. Not as nice as the some of the net. The one with the val is my fav.

i love the poly with the holes. must do something like that. looks so awesome. is it siliconed into the back? would it work if i just siliconed it to the bottom so it was in the middle so my fish could swim through the holes?

Yes - there is a display stand like it at Redwood Aquatics.

Yes - there is a display stand like it at Redwood Aquatics.

that was my inspiration the tank at redwood with the frontosa and peacocks and yep its siliconed in as its very bouyant i was guna make 1 for the middle but i could imagine difficultities trying to catch fish if i had to!

that was my inspiration the tank at redwood with the frontosa and peacocks and yep its siliconed in as its very bouyant i was guna make 1 for the middle but i could imagine difficultities trying to catch fish if i had to!

I would think it would be easier - one net one side and then coax the fish to swim through into the net ! I think three smaller ones offset in parallel at 45 degrees to the front of the tank would look even better.