training a lorikeet?

gem_scott

we had an african grey in South Africa, called iccarus, after the man that flew too close to the sun. we got him for R2000 (approx Nz$400)

he got his name since when my parents went to pick him up, the guy picked him up out of the cage, saying" hes too young to fly yet" 2 seconds later he flew out the door. took 2 days to catch him... he stayed quite close by luckily. but then my brother dropped him one day and he never liked humans again, always biting... but he got really good at imitation, he used to call the dogs inside, then when they got there he'd sound like my dad and yell "OUT!!!" and the dogs would cower and leve again... also used to imitate my grandmother calling my grandpa...

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend wrapping sand paper around his perches initially and that will naturally round off those sharp claws - if he has them that is.

sorry phoenix but i am not a fan of sand paper on perches as it can cause bumble foot

better to teach him to let you buff his nails with an emery board

the more you handle it regularly the better it will be as an adult

they are naturally clowns and love to play

enjoy your lorrie :wink:

sorry phoenix but i am not a fan of sand paper on perches as it can cause bumble foot

better to teach him to let you buff his nails with an emery board

the more you handle it regularly the better it will be as an adult

they are naturally clowns and love to play

enjoy your lorrie :wink:

bumble what you say? :o

i used clippers on rust when he was wild, and since then his claws have been blunt.

but this is news to me. :hail: Tell me more :bounce: