Tiger Lotus bulb And Flower Photos. It's Flowering! Seeds

oeminx

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I'm getting some interesting results from my experiments! I took my seeds and divided them into three containers. I left them all on a sunny windowsill and got quite definitive results:

Container 1: Just tank water. No seeds germinated. :(

Container 2: Tank water and gravel. No seeds germinated :(

Container 3: Tank water, gravel and a crushed JBL clay ball. Several seeds germinated! :D

I have since taken four of the seedlings and transferred them into tiny terracotta pots. Each pot has a JBL ball covered in gravel, and a single seedling planted in it. Two of the pots are in my tank, sitting on the substrate, with jars upturned over them - like a little glass house to protect them from hungry fish. The other two are in containers on the windowsill.

The two on the windowsill seem to have stalled their growth. They have stopped at the two-leaf stage. I suspect they will grow better when the weather warms up a bit. The two in the tank have grown two more leaves each.

I had a little mishap with one of the ones in the tank. When I was doing a water change (just a few days after putting the plant in there) I knocked the jar over and the little pot fell over and the gravel fell out. I thought the tiny plant would float away but it didn't - because its roots were very firmly attached to the JBL clay ball! So within a few days of being planted, the roots had found their way to the clay ball and anchored themselves firmly! Clever little plant!

• 3 weeks later...
Wow!

This is amazing. Very Beautiful mate!

I was actually going to buy some Tiger Lotus from Animates today. I resisted as it was all brown and sadly dieing :( . You have definately propelled me to continue to find some.

and again absolutely amazing. :bounce:

ask someone on here if they have some for sale. PT&E section.

what animates store was it and how much was it for?

Now I have lots and lots of tiny little tear shaped round leaves in the secret plant tank. :D - all from those seeds you sent me Ryan

I just want to keep some lotus alive till i can get another tank, cause i know that when it comes time for me to get some of it I wont be able to get any :lol:

Now I have lots and lots of tiny little tear shaped round leaves in the secret plant tank. :D - all from those seeds you sent me Ryan

I just want to keep some lotus alive till i can get another tank, cause i know that when it comes time for me to get some of it I wont be able to get any :lol:

Just don't put your seedlings anywhere near any gold barbs :evil:

A random question but how big do they grow??

Tiger lotus's?

my leaf stalks got to about 70-80 cm long and the leaves were about 10 cm in diameter.

as they mature the leaves go plain green, and the newer/younger ones have red speckles.

I like how you think P44!

LOL. you will need an experimentation tank like mine then!

no heating, no lights except what falls on it from the main tank above, and lots of evening sun and normal daylight.

LOL. you will need an experimentation tank like mine then!

no heating, no lights except what falls on it from the main tank above, and lots of evening sun and normal daylight.

What?! No lights?? I love lights!

As soon as my *vicious-swear-removed*x10 acrylic arrives then yeah, I'll make one of them.

Of course I'm self moderating, wouldn't want to get kicked off the forums.

Yes, twice now but I haven't had any response. They said that they were backlogged but it should be shipped in the next two days, that was sent on the 18th of August. Very disappointed.