Saying goodbye

yeh_buddy

I have a guinea pig who is approaching 8 years of age. I got her back in 2001 when I was about 11-12, Im nearly 20 now.

She is blind, and has various lumps and bumps all over her body. Fat deposits was what the vet called them. Recently though shes either been peeing or pooing blood, squeaking in pain, and she has lost her appetite. And she has lost weight quite drastically so shes quite boney.

I have an appointment at 4pm today to have her put down. When I made it I felt I was doing the right thing by having her put down, but now Im starting to panic as to if I am doing the right thing. I feel maybe that I should try and treat her even though the vet doesnt know what is wrong and gave me some antibiotics for her on Wednesday.

I guess what Im needing is some words of wisdom or encouragement, something to let me know I am doin the right thing by putting her down. I have had numerous of old beloved pets put down in my past but that never makes the decision any easier.

and if it was you??

would you not prefer to forgo your pain

Pain that stops you sleeping

pain all the time and not one part of life that you can get the slightest enjoyment from

To be honest, I think you would be cruel not to have it put down

I understand totally the guilt but thats just your own selfishness

Please dont take this personally, I do understand but you have to be fair and responsible

You are doing the right thing. Our cat got worse and worse until we had to have her put down too. It was hard but it was harder to see she was in pain and distress. At that age the guinea pig is beyond treatment. You are being kind. The vet will also confirm you are doing the right thing :cry:

and if it was you??

would you not prefer to forgo your pain

Pain that stops you sleeping

pain all the time and not one part of life that you can get the slightest enjoyment from

To be honest, I think you would be cruel not to have it put down

I understand totally the guilt but thats just your own selfishness

Please dont take this personally, I do understand but you have to be fair and responsible

Barrie I understand you dont mean it personally, Im not hesitating so much now, but I do doubt as to whether PTS is pain free. When they did it to my rabbit I could hear him screaming from all the way in the waiting room. Listening to your rabbits screams until they die is a horrible thing to have to listen too and that is why i doubt the vets when they say its painless. I was only 15 at the time. I cried for many hours afterwards and the screaming needless to say still haunts me.

But I do see where you are coming from, I guess looking at it from a different perspective even if it is painful atleast its only for a minute or so as opposed to days-weeks. All the same I wish there was no pain involved for her.

I will admit I am being selfish when I say that I wish that she would have just gone in her sleep rather than doing it this way.

Thank you for your words

First up it is sad that you have to say good bye to a beloved pet but you are doing the right thing if she is in pain. Euthanasia is painless it acts like a severe overdose of veterinary anaesthetic now I have seen animals be put under anaesthetic and they have never seemed in pain.

that is a very old guinea pig, and to live that long she has had a very good and contented life full of love

now for your final act of love it is time to let it go and end the pain it is suffering

i ave been keeping animals for too many years and the hardest part is that they generally don't live as long as us, so their end days is something we generally have to face

make the kindest descision that is in the best interests of your pet

let it go

PUT ME TO REST

Time to let me go my friend,

Because my life no-one can mend,

Its better to let me go this way,

Than watch me suffer night and day.

I'm happy to go, my time has come,

My quality of life is no longer fun,

Ive been so ill, so its not a bad thing,

To let me go forever resting.

Stay with me till I drift away,

Fast asleep forever I pray,

To relieve me from suffering and pain,

What more can I ask from my best friend.

Don't be sad, I'll be free from pain,

Never to be ill ever again,

I know you'll miss me being there,

But all the memories you have to share.

Thankyou for being my best friend,

And all my needs that you did tend,

Try not to be sad, try not to cry,

Now's the time to say GOODBYE.

Ah that is a beautiful poem, but oh gosh that poem knows how to make me blubber everytime.

We'll Im back from the Vets with Lucky in her little box. The Vet was very nice about it and she looks sooo peaceful. It's a relief that shes not in pain anymore.

Even the Vet was astonunded by her age. The majority she puts to sleep are half her age.

Thank you for your kind words everybody they really help.

*Lucky 2001~2009*

Barrie I understand you dont mean it personally, Im not hesitating so much now, but I do doubt as to whether PTS is pain free. When they did it to my rabbit I could hear him screaming from all the way in the waiting room. Listening to your rabbits screams until they die is a horrible thing to have to listen too and that is why i doubt the vets when they say its painless. I was only 15 at the time. I cried for many hours afterwards and the screaming needless to say still haunts me.

But I do see where you are coming from, I guess looking at it from a different perspective even if it is painful atleast its only for a minute or so as opposed to days-weeks. All the same I wish there was no pain involved for her.

I will admit I am being selfish when I say that I wish that she would have just gone in her sleep rather than doing it this way.

Thank you for your words

We had a chahuahua for about 12 year, she lost control of her legs and couldnt walk except in pain. She had no control over her blader and almost none over her bowels.

We took her in and I stayed with her while she recieved the injection and died. There was no pain for her at all and Im sure she knew what was happening... she smiled at me and my daughter as she close her eyes

Yes I blubbered like a (better not say) but knew it was rite and that she was pleased we helped her out the only fair way we could

Good on you for being brave enough to go through it. I held both my cats when they got put down a few years ago, and it was incredibly hard to do. However, looking back at their pain and suffering, I'm really glad I let them both go. I'm sure they weren't in pain as they died, and it made me better to know that they were no longer suffering.

This has been sad to read. But I see the love held for "lucky" I think lucky was very lucky indeed.

The shame of having pets, is they do pass on. My first thought reading this is sadly I have had a pet dog die of a heart attack in my hands. One of the other dogs was barking madly, which drew my attention, they do sense & know. I sent mum off to the phone to ring the vet, so at least he could have a quiet pat & die in peace, poor (Language Removed Bill ) Like Barrie, I looked into his eyes. Yep, blubbered once they closed.

Frenchy :D

:cry::(

Your stories are making me cry!

Despite the tears and heartache, nothing compares to the memories, enjoyment, companionship and unconditional love an animal offers.

I will keep having animals in my life for that reason and trust that I will meet up with them again when it is my turn.

Well, it is more than obvious that Lucky was very much loved, something that some animals never experience. My heart goes out to you. I had a dog, Tippy, who I had to have put down many years ago. I can still cry today because of the love I had for my little pet. But I did what I knew was best for him and it sure sounds like you did what was best for Lucky.

I lost my beloved Puffball (cat) and still miss him so much. Unfortunately I never did find out what happened to Puffball which only made it worse.

Lucky...was lucky to have an owner who truly loved him.

Take care,

Caper

PS wonderful poem Southerngirl (missed a few r's) :oops:

We had an old hound dog called Trampus.. (Trampy).. and we all loved every moment we spent with him. He had been a constant companion to me, and had grown up with the kids.

The years past, and he wasn't as eager to do things like when he was younger.

At fifteen his back legs began to give him trouble, and he got to a stage where he couldn't walk or get out to do his business, so I had to carry him out, then back in. He was a big dog... but I was much healthier then.

After endless trips to the vets, and being on steroids, we could see that old Trampy wouldn't be with us much longer.

I decided.. (after a long talk with the vet).. that the best thing was to have him put to sleep. I drove him to the vets, and he seemed to know that the end was coming. He had beautiful puppy seal eyes, and he looked at me from the back seat where he lay. I sat there crying like a child until I joined him as we shared our last moments.

The vet gave him the needle as he layed in my arms.

We were great mates... and he looked at me for the final time and his eyes were telling me not to worry as he dropped to sleep.

I took him home and buried him on the farm in an area he loved so much.

This was ten or so years back... and I haven't had another dog since.

Sorry for your loss yeh_buddy,,... It certainly takes some time getting over the loss of a pet.

Trampy will always be with us.

Bill

I had a guide dog that we gave a home when he retired... had him put down last month...

Hardest day of my life, I still get up-set when i think of him... He was my little arrow!!!

However im glad i did it, we had a prowd dog who had done some really great things in his life and i didnt want pain of any type comming over such a great dog...

Sometime you just have to do it!!!