18000K Tubes

phoenix44

hello everyone! :lol:

I got 2 new t5 HO's today rated at 54 watts each, 18000K.

ive had t5's on the tank before, but this is a 4ft light instead of the 2ft i was using in the past.

I know what the kelvin ratings are etc etc, as far as wavelengths are concerned; but what I DO NOT know is what this means for me.

are these tubes suitable for growing plants? (i suppose the pants that need lower light will be unhappy)

Ive heard that 6500k - 10,000K is perhaps more suited for the propagation of aquatic plants... is this true?

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My supician would be that it will not be as good as 10000k but have never used them to find out.

I found anything over 10k not so good for plants

I see. I couldnt find 4ft (t5 HO) 10000K tubes, do you know where I can get one from?

Electrical wholesalers...under $15 a tube i think

awesome, thanks man... reason i asked is cause i used to run the same K rating tubes in the 2ft size, and a 15000K and actinic blue and the plants boomed! But I was hoping to replace the whole lot with just the 4ft light hood.

I'll see how it goes for a few weeks, and then if growth has slowed down - ill add a 10000K tube.

I run 18000k t5 with a life glo t5 tube cant remember how many K the tiger lotus and every other plant in the tank loves the light.

oh.. the life glo is 6700K.

the 10000K tube comes as stock standard in the juwel aquariums... its the blinding white one i think.