NZ endangered falcons

Caryl

We had our annual wine and food festival yesterday. At the festival they had some NZ falcons, Karearea. It is an endangered species.

They are a beautiful, intelligent, playful and agile bird and the fastest moving animal in NZ.

Like many of our native birds it is vulnerable to predators. The Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust has been set up to raise funds to support the falcon, which is on the brink of extinction. www.NZfalcon.org. They are also working to conserve the falcon through a reintroduction programme within the vineyards of Marlborough's Wairau Valley.

They had one male and one female at the festival. Neither seemed fazed by the surrounding crowds.

For general photos of the festival - 8100 people (not counting workers) 61 wineries, 21 food outlets (including wild venison, tahr, goat and pork, mussels, crayfish, oysters, escargot, Spanish donuts, Bavarian hotdogs, whitebait, iced cherries, chocolates, strawberries and ice cream, rosti, baked potatoes, scallops, paua patties, salads, antipasto, chicken drums, sushi, kebabs, honey smoked bacon, watercress fritters, Bailey's sundaes and rib eye steaks plus entertainment (mainliners were The Black Seeds) it was a great day out. 8) Have a look here

falconmalehead.jpg

Oooo nice photos! And that festival sounds fantastic (I love tasty foods...)

Saw the NZ Falcons at Wingspan in Rotorua a year and a bit ago, they are so beautiful. Only 2000 left and they get hardly any advertisement, compared with the kiwi.

Now I want a Baileys Sunday :lol:

I remember years ago watching native falcons hunting a flock of sparows over a valley in the inland Kaikouras. They were a pair in the breeding season and one chased them across the valley while the other dived from above--it was a very short meal break.

Language is about communication so if you understand what people have said then the excersise has been successful.

We have one which visits our small garden in Wellington suburbia around March - May each year to feast on our doves :( I am sad to see any of our doves killed, but they breed like rabbits so easily regenerate by the next year, and I feel privileged to see the Falcon sitting out on the swing set or the play fort.

when we lived on a livestyle farm there was a female nesting nearby our paddock and we used to see it carrying field mice/rats all the time, when Midori (my lil pooch) was a couple of months old (2kgs) and just learnt toilet training properly and went outside to wee - I watched from under the roof (about 2meters away from MidOri) the falcon lowered its talons the was about to swoop. THAT was a scary moment and from that day I never let Midori out without me next to her lol

Caryl wrote:

It is an endangered species.

They are a beautiful, intelligent, playful and agile bird and the fastest moving animal in NZ.

It is awful to hear of anything endangered. Even creatures that I might not "like".

What are its predators Caryl? What has put them on the endangered list, people?????? Oh, beatiful pics by the way, hope Bud isn't jealous :lol:

Caper

Humans wiped out their habitat plus they nest on the ground so eggs and young are easy prey to stoats, weasels, possums etc.

One of the reasons snakes are not allowed in NZ is that many of our unique birds nest on the ground (not to mention the geckoes, tuatara etc.)