washing machine died

ghostknife

over 30 years ago when our first child was well into producing a great volume of dirty cloth nappies (yes we used to have to wash them and the throw away ones didnt exist) our old agitator washer gave up the ghost. We simply didnt have the money for a new one as we were saving for a home.

After 18 months to two years my sister in law came for a visit while Brenda was washing all these nappies by hand on the wash board (OK, Only old people will remember these) and asked why. Brenda explained that the washer was stuffed (being technical here). Karen pushed the reset button and away the washer went.

Relationships on the home front were not good for the next week or two.

Has your washer got a reset button? :oops:

(never ever ask her how she told me that she was pregnant for the first time as thats an even worst story :oops: )

that im not too sure of its a simpson encore 605

I have the exact same machine! And it also did this just under 2 years ago. I rang the number on the inside of the lid (on a sunday) and got put through to an electrician about 20km away from me (?) He said he would come out the next day or something.. the next day for some reason I tried turning the washing machine on again and it worked. So had to ring the electrician and tell him not to bother coming cos the machine was operating again. No idea what went wrong, maybe it just needed a little rest. Its still going strong.

Have you tried unplugging it and leaving it for ten minutes or so, then plug it back in again. (Sounding like the Sky help desk here!)

Is the outlet a double one? If it is, plug it in where the dryer is to make sure it is actually the washing machine and not the outlet, just because they are in the same plate does not mean that power may be getting to both outlets.

While it is unplugged try flicking the switch a few times on the wall socket if it has one, sometimes they get stuck, or you could have ants in there stopping the switch making contact.

HTH

Ghostknife do you have any electrical knowledge (ie enough not to smoke yourself?).

Sounds like there are some good ideas out there, sounds like you have already made sure the washing machine is at fault by using the dryer in the same plug.

I would be checking for fuses or power type relays etc maybe even your mains plugs.. The few faulty washing machines I have had have never died completely they have always had flashing lights/beeping/random displays, if yours is all of a sudden not displaying anything then maybe it is something that might be simple to fix, or it could have just smoked itself completely.

Have you tried googling the name of your washing plus various other keywords "fixing" "broken" "wont turn on" etc etc, sometimes you luck upon someone who has had the same problem and posted a fix.. Maybe even ring around the local washing machine fixers see if you can gleen any free info off them, sometimes they're so flat out they don't mind helping out for free.

Good luck :) I love figuring out how to fix my own stuff..

i have to say i do prefer my turn dial machines as they last so much longer than the computer ones....i bought my washer over 10 years ago now and it still runs strong, has been used by a single person as well as upto four adults in a household at once so im impressed....sorry yours died but its fun getting new stuff too (despite the reason for having to lol)