FISH AND FLYING

Whiskas

Why a plane to Wellington.

If they are going with a person you will need to check with the airline as they will probably need to go as hand luggage. Some airlines say no, some will let you. If they go in a suitcase as check in luggage they will be chucked around.

If they are going with a courier company they most probably will be trucked down overnight.

Mine wouldn't! It might wolf whistle, or say "CQ, CQ" or "Testing!" or "I tawt I taw a puddy tat" or "Achoo!" or "Give us a kiss" or "Hiya Bud" but he doesn't tick or tock. :wink:

Back on topic though, are you wanting to take the fish as hand luggage or in the hold?

Auckland and Wellington airports sometimes put people through security checks for domestic flights (although a lot of smaller airports don't). I had a cactus plant confiscated once when I was flying from Christchurch to Auckland :cry:

It depends where you're flying to, too. If you're on a teeny tiny plane travelling from Wellington to Nelson or something, they probably wouldn't bother, but Welly to Auckland or Chch they do. Interestingly, Chch to Welly they don't screen you or your stuff.

I have had no problems with taking fish with me as carryon luggage with Qantas.

I just showed the fish to the security guys and said that I don't want them xrayed. they were happy about it and even laughed when I said this liquid couldn't be explosive, especiallhy with fish swimming in there.

If the fish are small enough I would use a 2L juice bottle to transport the fish. more sturdy than a bag.

I have had problems with Air New Zealand in checking fish as luggage.

my advice for travelling with Air New Zealand is NOT to tell them you have fish in your luggage. As with carryon for Air New Zealand, I have no idea.

I will not fly Air New Zealand unless I really have to because they would not let me take fish :evil:

I went down to CHCH from Auckland last year and was quite worried about getting stopped, I took it a chilli bag with around 9 separate bags with around 50 fish as hand luggage, it went through the xray and they just laughed and asked if I had been fishing!

On the way back I brought back some turtles and had no problems either, may just depend on who is doing security as well.

Just want to confirm Air NZ do scan your bags including any hand luggage in Wellington

Christchurch dont seem to do any scanning at all if your flying back to Welly

Im heading down to Wanaka over Easter weekend, my Aunty has a Tropical Tank in their Restaurant, so thought I would take some fish down to her as they have no Pet Shop in Wanaka :(:(

I honestly cant image how it would feel to take my fish down to Welly airport then being told no I cant take them with me, hmmm :-? :-? Not a situation I would like to be in.

At the moment my Aunty is having to get fish though her Vet in Wanaka, apparently they are getting them from Wonderworld in Rotorua.

Would be so much easier if I could just take a heap of fishys with me as Hand Luggage whenever I head down there.

Lyndaloo

It might pay to call the airline in advance and ask the question directly. I was pretty upset when my cactus got confiscated (it was a gift from an elderly lady I had been staying with) but it would have been horrible if it was a live fish!

The difference between security/biosecurity at the different airports might be something to do with whether the airports have international flights as well as domestic. Most of the security measures seem to be aimed at international flights, but if there is some way for domestic passengers to mingle with international passengers before the int'l passengers have been fully processed, then presumably all the same controls have to be applied to all passengers passing through the security check.

If you see what I mean. :-?

Caper, when I was travelling in North America I was astounded at the security checks I had to go through at all the airports, even on a domestic flight. Mind you, in the US they had similar security at other public places like the big museums and monuments - not much fun for a traveller with a backpack to find I wasn't allowed to have a pocket knife! It's a standard piece of travel kit, for goodness sake! :o

On the other hand I drove from Canada to the US and back again and the border patrol staff had very variable standards. I was driving a vehicle with Alberta plates so the Canadians just tried to wave me through without checking my passport. I ended up stopping and insisting they take a look! :lol:

I have never had my stuff checked when travelling within NZ :o

I once travelled from Blenheim to Wellington with an ice cream container with an axoltl in it. That created interest when the air hostess (remember when all flights had them?) wanted to know why I was carrying an ice cream container so I lifted the lid :lol:

I think the security people don't care what you take on board the plane as long as it is not pointy, can shoot bullets, or blows up.

just don't tell the Air New Zealand staff.

Pack it in your suit case. use a strong box.

All I do is put it in a plastic bottle, and showed it to the security people when I went through so they didn't xray the fish.