Renovations include a new fish pond

Guy

Well buying a house and getting an old in ground 2500L concrete pond that's full of leaks, had some fish, but no pump or filter, gets lots of sun etc etc, you'd be surprised that I just didn't fill it in and be done with it. Well 6 months latter a pump and filter, LOTs of water and I have 8 15cm-20cm gold fish, some gold some black, and 20-30 young ones in the last month.

Well a new pond became part of the renovation project and over Jan I got to work building it.

3267604887_555c1af51f_o.jpg

As you can see its above ground, around 1800L in the main pool (58cm deep) with a 230L biofilter/swamp in the long box to the left. no sure what exactly Im going to poant in the swamp yet, though leaning to wards using NZ natives and may put some bullies in there as well. There's a lot of landscaping to be done in the future, including a deck around the base. The need to demolish the old pond to put some new drainage in pushed this part of the project to the front of the queue, well that's my excuse anyways

Guy

Yeah being above ground building a wooden structure to contain nearly 2 tonnes of water has its challenges, hence the box with in a box all made out of 175x 42 T&G retaining timber. Got to finish off with a capping around the main pond and weir installed and lined for the swamp. Also need to retrofit an overflow into the main pond to get controlled flooding in the case of heavy rain. 4 days now and its only dropped a few mm's YEH no leaks the old pond goes through 300L a week and Im on metered water. The biofliter has a bottom drain, cut and sealed into the pond lining to allow me to flush it when needed. In some ways wish I'd added one to the main pond as well for the pumps and filters

BRILLIANT idea with the natural wetland filter!!! I take it you have accessory filters as well, but the wetland thing should work a treat once it is established!!

Me being a total natives purist, you could do a really neat project using just native fish and plants! There are HEAPS of emergent natives plants that would be awesome in the swamp. Bullies are bottom-dwelling fish so you wouldn't see much of them, but Preacher has them in his pond and sees them now and then and I think they have been breeding (get uplands or Cran's, depending on your area, and the fry have a chance of surviving to adulthood). Inanga would be a good visible schooling fish for the main area. One or two banded kokopu might work, but they could be an escape risk.

Looks like it is fairly shady from the photo, but you said lots of sun... If it is full sun I would avoid natives unless I was SURE the temps didn't get over 20-22 degrees in summer at the most.

VERY IMPRESSED!

Looking good!

Would you like to update your profile to include your location? Click on the user control panel top right to do this. It often helps to know a poster's location when they ask questions, as geography can have an effect on the answers sometimes.

Yeap here's some more info on how I've built it. In designing it the key thing was to elminate some of the problems with the pond I inherited.

A deep pond at ground level is hard to work on other than climbing in it. Existing pond was 80cm deep and surrounded by a rock garden

Bring the fish closer to the eye

I wanted to go with a bio filter with luck it might bring some native frogs in

The garden theme is NZ native sub tropical

Added a canister UV filter as well.

Controlled overflow when the pond overflows in heavy weather, it did with the Auckland floods this past winter

Leaks easier to find and fix

If possible preserve the current weeping elm and use it as shade, old pond has very little

So I went with a timber box construction roughly 2m wide x 2.4 long and .75m high and integrated into the deck. Once the deck is built it'll be 45cm above the deck and perfect seating height.

3268371971_011a00f5e8.jpg

So there is two boxes one inside the other built out of tongue and grove retaining timber, in this case 175x42mm H4. The posts are H5 piles. By over lapping the corner timbers boards from one wall stop the adjacent wall pushing out The T&G also makes the wall considerable stronger and stops one board bowing out more than its adjacent boards. its all about spreading the load of the water.

3269197234_ef588c7899_o.jpg

3269197382_3bba697610_o.jpg

On the main pond I used pond underlay on the sides to reduce the chance of a pinch leave of the liner from contracting and expanding boards. Then a good pond liner was installed wth stainless steel staples. 70mm of sand on top of wed mat was put in the bottom. Wed mate to stop the sand going down into the light volcanic soil and also hopefully to discourage the elms roots.

I cut a rebate in the top of the boards in the inner box and then screwed down a strip of wood into this to lock the liner in place. (actually the tonge that was cut off the top boards reused upside down) This was to try and minimise point loads on the liner which are more likely to tear.

3269197478_a4a0f5a706_o.jpg.

So got this far and got it filled and realised I haven't solved the overflow problem. A trip to the HW store and found this. Its a marley down pipe adapter from there 1/2 round to 80mm pipe. Im going to cut a outline of this in the top board at the back on the inner box and then lay the liner into it. As it has a built in sloop down to the pipe it should work well. I'll then pipe it out and via a bend into a piece of down pipe and away safely.

3269197540_fdd9056a5e_o.jpg

The bio filter is a 2.4m long x .6m wide x 30cm deep box. 30cm in from the main pond end is a weir which overflows onto some rocks to cascade into the main pond. The rocks can be removed and this exposes a hole under some liner than diverts water from the weir to the ground rather than the tank. This is so I can flood the swamp every month or so and flush it out. I'll probably put a mesh across the weir when doing this to stop flushing any fishy's away. The biofilter has a 25mm pipe running its length in the bottom with holes all along it, this is where water enters the filter. Covering this is 70mm of scoria and then another 70mm of gap 7. This should leave about 100mm of water above the stone. Now the gap 7 I got in bags has an inordinate amount of clay in it and is taking a LOT of cleaning before I allow the water to flow into the pond.

3267604887_555c1af51f_o.jpg

Also to help cleaning I added a bottom drain to the bio filter. The US sites rave about having them and then I saw the price. Well a bit of kiwi thinking and a another walk around the HW shop and I found a solution. Its a sink adapter for a sink that used to have a waster disposal in it. It has two very big stainless steel washers in it. Glue some liner to each of these with some silicon sealer and then use them to compress against the pond liner in the biofilter and it works well. I put a tap underneath, but it equally could have been a water intake for an external pump in a main tank. And at $30 not a bad solution.

3269197590_2fa7046e51_o.jpg

All pipe work is 25mm pipe using a lot of fittings commonly used in farm water supplies. These are really cheap at mastertrade, 3 times the price at Bunnings!!!!. I've got 2 pumps a 3000L/hr for the swamp and a 2000L/hr that goes through a canister filter/UV system. I prefer this as it gives me resiliency should any one pump fail. The 2000L/hr pump is an Oase, yeah I could have got a cheaper Chinese pump, but a quick calc and the Oase will last twice as long and use at least $50 less power per year.

I've also just in the process of putting a rain water harvesting system in from the house roof. I've put a T connector into the feed to the biofilter and put a tap and a hose connector on the tap. This will allow me to run a hose from the rainwater tank pump and connect it to the pond when I need to add water but with the added advantage it will have to pass through the bio filter first before it gets to the main pond. there's non return valves to stop it forcing back to the pump and into the rain water tanks.

If you haven't worked it out by now, I trained as an Engineer many years ago, so the pond has lots of what if protections built in and probably grossly over engineered.

So I wrote all before getting home this evening. When I found that the old pond which still had all my fish in it (waiting for the new pond to settle in for a few weeks) had decided to start leaking even more, loosing 500L during the day. So there was a quick shift of pumps, the box filter etc into the new tank and then catch all the fish (40+ of all sizes) before the light ran out..... Well they are all in the new tank now as well as 2 big water lilies so hopefully it should settle down without to many prob's. I'm going to be checking nitrate and ammonia levels a lot for the next week or so...

OMG!

:hail::hail::hail:

*Is incredibly impressed*

What a beautiful pond! And yes, your engineering background does show. :lol:

So when are you going to have an open home and invite us all over to have a look at your pond? :bounce:

I'll even bring a bottle of bubbles to "launch" it, if that helps persuade you! :wink:

• 1 month later...