DOC 0800 number please

HandS

A friend of mine just brought some "baby goldfish" off tm, to feed to her turtle, they arrived and she suspects they are gambusia :evil: Ive checked the doc website, but cannot find a 0800 number for her to ring. Any one know a 0800 number for her to ring and chat to DOC/MAF. Unfortunatly she lives out of town so i can not go and confirm what they are, but she said they look like plain guppys.

Decided to go and check them out, they are full growen gambusia :evil: Rung the maf 0800 number, they told me to ring the another 0800 number, the one for reporting undersized fish :roll: as it was "fish" related. Rung maf back, and they dont know what to do...???...??? they said they will ring me back. Dam they are making this dificualt.

Seen the Auction, and they ARE being sold as baby goldfish :x :evil:

OK, My friend just got a call back from MAF, Basically they told her that the problem was too wide spread, they are not going to do anything about it, and even told her that it would be "OK to keep a few" :evil: This is crazy, Im sure these are illegal, and to tell her to keep a few! Whats the would coming too. Im sure they dont say the same to the drug growers????

Auction number 195789655

Off the DOC 'Contact Us' page:

Emergencies

For conservation emergencies telephone: 0800 DOCHOTline (0800 362 468)

Conservation Emergencies are:

* Conservation-related law enforcement (for example illegal white-baiting, vandalism of huts and tracks, removal of plants from reserves, killing or catching of native wildlife, fishing in marine reserves, disturbing marine mammals)

* Sick or injured wildlife

* Marine mammal stranding (whales and dolphins only)

* Safety Watch (damaged and/or unsafe visitor facilities)

I thought they looked a lot like guppies too. Did this person not catch on that their baby goldfish never grew up???

I take it they're around the size of a guppy?

EDIT

Mature females grown to 6 cm and males to 3.5 cm. They mature at six weeks old and are unusual because they give birth to live young.

I've heard people use "Goldfish" to refer to any kind of pet fish. I wouldn't be surprised if these people aren't fishkeepers, noticed there's something swimming in their pond and went, "Baby goldfish!"

I thought they looked a lot like guppies too. Did this person not catch on that their baby goldfish never grew up???

I take it they're around the size of a guppy?

Yeah, they're hard to tell from colorless guppies. Similar size, similar shape, given the difficulty getting a good look at fish in a bucket, bag, etc I'd say they're extremely easy to get confused.

I've heard people use "Goldfish" to refer to any kind of pet fish. I wouldn't be surprised if these people aren't fishkeepers, noticed there's something swimming in their pond and went, "Baby goldfish!"

also the people that dont know Shubs, black moor,s redcaps etc are goldfish :roll:

well had some one ask me if i wanted there gold fish coz they were moving house so i said okay thinking they were plain goldfish they dropped off 3 goldfish(1 was fantail,)3 danios 1 gold sword tail and 2 gold tropicle fish they all suvrive the colder water but i put them in slightly heated tank so there happyer and moving lots

just wasnt what i was expecting

One way to tell them apart is that the dorsal fin of Gambusia starts after the anal fin, whereas the dorsal fin of a guppy starts almost level with the anal fin.

In saying that, with some of the fancy guppies it may be hard to tell, I have a female with a long dorsal that seems to start back a bit further than the shorter finned guppies.

Gambusia01.jpg

Gambusia affinis Mosquitofish

Guppy-01.jpg

Poecilia reticulata Guppy

ouu...that's no good!

regarding identifying them you could put in the palm of your hand and gently hold down with your thumb to check the finnage. also they are totally colourless...you can get female guppies like this but amongst them would likely be males..they will have some colour and the caudal (tail) fin will be broader