January 7, 200917 yr comment_283803 I did a big water change yesterday because water was cloudy and today its cloudy again??anyone know why this is ??? Report
January 7, 200917 yr comment_283806 give it a couple of days.. it will vanish and leave a crystal clear tank... worst comes to worst use some B-Clear.... magic stuff.. Report
January 7, 200917 yr comment_283812 I find I often get a cloudy bloom like this when I do water changes over summer. It should clear on its own and isn't harmful to the fish. Report
January 7, 200917 yr comment_283878 When I get a bacterial bloom like that I try to do heaps of waterchanges to get rid of it. The bacteria are sucking up the oxygen, potentially competing with the fish (depends how bad it is) Report
January 7, 200917 yr comment_283879 I'm having the same problem with my display tank in the lounge so I have got one of these on the way. http://www.trademe.co.nz/Home-living/Pe ... 570790.htm Has anyone had any experience with them? Report
January 10, 200917 yr comment_284422 I did a big water change yesterday because water was cloudy and today its cloudy again??anyone know why this is ??? Is the water greenish cloudy or just cloudy? I got a major greenish cloudy algae bloom when I put a kiwifruit in the tank for my fish to eat. It didn't go away with time & water changes. Blacking out the tank for a couple of days (lights off & a blanket over it) helped clear it up. Green clody water can be caused by too much nutrient in the water from over-feeding and/or not enough water changes, and of course if the water is warmer than usual it speeds up the process. So my advice... Keep up with regular water changesTake care not to over-feedMonitor light levels (eg if tank is near a bright window, close curtains for part of the day)Monitor water temperatureBlack out tank if necessaryAs a last resort, use a chemical solution like algae-rid from your lfs Report
January 11, 200917 yr Author comment_284467 Not really greeny cloudy, just cloudy and not going away after couple more water changes :evil: :evil: Report
January 11, 200917 yr comment_284479 I have about 3 tanks like that at the moment. It seems to happen after a biggish water change and goes away if the tanks are left in the dark for 2-3 days. Report
February 18, 200917 yr Author comment_291480 Ok, nearly had enough but after trying B clear, Covering tank, huge water changes and finally stripping down whole tank as I wanted to change gravel anyway.Tank is still bit cloudy, Heaps better than what it was, not green anymore and only slighty cloudy but want to clear it up and that B clear hasnt worked.Got a FX5 filter but wondering if something up with that???? Any Ideas? Report
February 18, 200917 yr comment_291481 B clear hasnt worked. Thats terrible! that stuff is like magic! can you post a pic of the tank, id be very interested to see if its like what im imagining it is like... if that makes sense :lol: is it cloudy murky, or cloudy "I cant see my fish". tried using fine filter wool? Report
February 18, 200917 yr comment_291492 I had the same problem when I did a 60 % w/c in my tank. I back flushed my filter, and put filter wool over my filter intake. It cleared it up overnight, and now it's amazingly clear. Report
February 18, 200917 yr comment_291565 I always have cloudy water after doing a big water change after medicating the tank. There is not enough good bacteria in your filter to fight the bad bacteria that cause cloudy water. Water change does not work, because you also remove the good bacteria as well as the bad. You need time for the good bacteria to colonise your filter. Just ignore the tank for about a week or so, don't feed the fish, don't prune the plants, and the cloudy water should go away. The trick is not to feed the bad bacteria and get the good bacteria colonised. If you are impatient, you can used a UV sterilizer. It will clear it in 3 days. I used green killing machine uv sterizer which is reasonable in price. I got mine in Hollywood Fish Farm. This will kill bacteria and free algae floating in the water. You can try Seachem Stability to fast track populating the good bacteria on your filter, although I have not tried this method on cloudy water. I use stability after I clean the filter or add new fish. Report
February 18, 200917 yr comment_291571 This stuff can act in the most bizarre way. I had cloudy green water from algae a few weeks back, was so cloudy the water was almost opaque but the fish seemed fine, was like it for a week and a half then came home from work one day and the water was crystal clear! from cloudy to the point of almost being opaque>>>>crystal clear 24 hours later. Bizzare! Report
February 19, 200917 yr comment_291591 most of the time I have cloudy water is when I feed my bristlenose some courgettes, and also the filter is on the small size to cope with so much waste. with regards to a UV filter, I don't bother, better to get rid of the source of the problem instead of trying to fix the outcome. Report
February 23, 200917 yr Author comment_292219 Finally :bounce: , finally cleared it, Thought Id never get it clear and now its clearer than its ever been, used some stuff for ponds, called Green away. Brillant stuff Report
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.