Leopard Tortoise status....

David R

talked to Ivan up at Ti Point today, he said that the Leopard Tortoises were already permitted for private ownership as someone has already had it put through, the only problem is getting the zoos to pass them on to private keepers.

Thats not what he said to me, but then again he didn't know me from adam so probably thought I'd just pester him to sell me one if....

I wonder what MAF's reply was all about then if they aren't "containment".... :-?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that would have come out anyway as it was pushed through, I don't think Auckland Zoo would swap with private keepers at this point as it sounds like they have a policy now of only swapping with other containment facilities, still good news anyways, varanophile, if you knew about this already what did you have to gain not mentioning anything about it?

I thought he wanted it under wraps. I only found out last week, and not my place to say...I guess he does not want people to know they have such a high $$ value and they end up getting ripped like the shingles etc. Good that he is being progressive.

I thought he wanted it under wraps. I only found out last week, and not my place to say...I guess he does not want people to know they have such a high $$ value and they end up getting ripped like the shingles etc. Good that he is being progressive.

Fair enough, I just mentioned it was a talking point on the forum and that we were looking at taking it further, that is when he told me it was already through, I wasn't given the impression it was a secret and during the chat mentioned that there will be some happy herpers out there.

As for dollar value and getting ripped off, i'm sure if these tortoises were stolen and were offered for sale the details would be given to the police and the tortoises given back. It seems that there are a few that think it is ok to just take reptiles that they want, if these people are turned in when found out it may help stop reptiles and reptile keeping being so secretive, I can't believe how stupid people are to steal from the one place that we all have to go to see these reptiles, just for financial gain or to "swap" for other illegal herps.

• 8 years later...