Leopard Tortoise status....

David R

alan maf apply to erma to determine the status of an organism, so we would go direct to erma but would also submit application to maf biosecurity as an interested party

auckland zoos contribution would be the bloods etc done unsite i would imagine

this would be the first step to determine if they are carrying anything that may be declared as new or unwanted

if something is found then this would need to be adressed as the whole thing will hinge on what is found

good idea navarre on maf vet

we have some prepared to help financially and some with time

anyone else keen to put their hand up?

me

davidr

navarre

varanophile

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

if we cant findout who headed this one up and what was involed might help and yea im keen to get behind this,like the idear that it could help with up keep of zoos and reptile parks

1 Pursuant to section 22 of the Biosecurity Act 1993, this document is the Import Health Standard for the importation from Australia of the star tortoise (Geochelone elegans) and the yellow-headed tortoise (Indotestudo elongata) into New Zealand for zoos.

if we could find out what health standard tests were for this rear import of tortoises to nz its got to be close to whats need to release whats here,? just puttin it out there

for those keen to help

check this out

word doc

http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/resources/pub ... NOCR-1.doc

pdf

http://www.ermanz.govt.nz/resources/pub ... NOCR-1.pdf

i would suggest approaching with a controlled release

ie" animals micro chipped and to registered people over a time period

could also form start of registered breeders for rarer exotic reps in nz

i would suggest approaching with a controlled release

ie" animals micro chipped and to registered people over a time period

could also form start of registered breeders for rarer exotic reps in nz

This would be great, but considering the powers that be are looking at opening up certain native species for what will end up open slather with no controls and i'm sure a lot of wild collecting and keeping by inexperienced keepers, why would they want to set up another register for exotics!!

Sorry for being synical :roll:

if they want to scrap what they have now for natives " endangered" , because of to much work being involved why would they set something up now for exotics, it is much easier for them to just say no than put in a system.

Don't get me wrong, I am all for a full native and exotic permitted open system but after reseaching the crap out of it I just can't see the people with the ultimate say doing anything right, they haven't even bothered asking the Nz herp Society for it's input into the lastest probable stuff up, gee why ask the people that it effects most!! :evil:

Someone on here must know him reasonably well?

Mark I still haven't had much of a chance to look over those links, or the ones in the response to my letter. I'm happy to be the go between seems how I have already been in contact with MAF regarding this issue. I'll try to look at those links over the next few days, and if others could too so we can come up with a list of things we need to find out from them, like what tests need to be done etc.

basically 2 tests from different vets

then we need to research and answer any issues brought up frpm bloods

approach doc for their stance on releasing tortoise into general population

adress danger they may pose to native animals

adress the issue that they eat grass and may compete with sheep and rabbits

consult iwi

point out and rebutt any possible negatives

then outline why they should be released

chances of success greater if it comes from a group not individuals

also do individual submissions as well

go to tv if necessary to stir things along

has anyone talked to the auck zoo about this as well

well if you want to get the tortoises to be released into private hands you are going to have to apply for a release. Due to them already being in the country, and MAF cant prove that they where smuggled then they are here to stay. I am trying to keep up with the play but im not fully in the loop with what is happening. From emailing ERMA they have the final say not DOC or MAF.

ERMA in my opinion will not allow the release of these animals from the facilities that they are held in, but that means that we should still try.

If you try to go through a controlled release i firmly believe that it will be allot harsher than that, such as only desexed males to be sold. this is to stop

any possability of these animals establishing themselevs. Now this defeats the point because most people want to breed from them?

You would have to go with a full release, and this costs around $37,000 and still doesnt guarantee them to be released.

I suggest go with controlled release, and get some solid evidence that these post no threat to the sorrounding ecosystem.

What we really need is MAF to create a IHS for the reptiles in NZ so we can...

A) know what we can/cant keep

B) know what type of disease that MAF are looking for

C) control what is kept privatly in NZ

But i doubt it will happen...

Just my opinion...

when we tried to get a permit to bring ours from overseas,

they said they could not give us one as there was no health standard for bringing in any type of tortoise in.

And every permit issued for importing needs a health standard.

Just for applying for a health standard could take up to four years, (which we didn't have as we were moving soon)

but if there is no health standard for bringing in tortoises into NZ, how come the zoo was aloud to?

or is there only a health standard for zoos transferring?

Oh, and we also tried ringing different plane companys, because if they aloud us to bring the torts on their planes we would have been aloud I think. But sadly none of them would let us :cry:

Containment means that. They are virtually in permanent quarantine in a zoo and so there are more animals that can be kept with a zoo licence. It is releasing them to the public that is harder. The attitude down here with importing fish is that they would hope it would go away, and this is a bit similar. Horses and trout yes, others not so keen.

Hi Steph,

I am happy to stand corrected on this, as I dont know the whole story but basically you used to be able to bring in anything you wanted. Then you had to decalre what you had then you couldnt bring in anything.

So there used to be (and may still be) all sorts of stuff here. then they closed teh door and had an amnesty about what you had. if you declared it all well and good. if you didnt and they found out it was destoryed or went to a zoo.

So thats it in a nut shell I think

Navarre

talked to Ivan up at Ti Point today, he said that the Leopard Tortoises were already permitted for private ownership as someone has already had it put through, the only problem is getting the zoos to pass them on to private keepers.

Ha,ha...was not sure if he was going to put that out there....not sure who else is aware of that, I don't think Akl zoo is. The best scenario is to swap the zoo animals they want in exchange. Remember the shingle for bluey swap with wellington zoo? I am not sure whether they can sell animals to the public...anyone know?

Remember the shingle for bluey swap with wellington zoo? I am not sure whether they can sell animals to the public...anyone know?(quote varanophile)

yea and welly zoo got done big time on that swap and the person new that all 4 buleys were male but we wont name names now.

and now i bet MAF didnt want that to be known to the public lol (about the tortoise)

that would have come out anyway as it was pushed through, I don't think Auckland Zoo would swap with private keepers at this point as it sounds like they have a policy now of only swapping with other containment facilities, still good news anyways, varanophile, if you knew about this already what did you have to gain not mentioning anything about it?