Removing Glass brace?

Andrew_W

My tank has 3 braces on the top, one at each end and one in the middle. I want to stick a fairly large piece of drift wood into the tank, and well it just wont fit :cry: so I was going to try removing the center brace. Does anyone know how to do this? I was planning on just knifing the silicon

Thanks

I have just removed the glass out of a sump tank. it had large glass panels that broke the tank into about 3 different compartments.

i went to the warehouse and brought a $3 paint scraper, took the blade out and proceeded to cut as much of the silicon away that i could. once i had done that i put the blade in between the glass panels and using two screw drivers (very carefully) i pushed the blade between the panels.

the glass came out easily.

hi we do the same, we get given alot of tanks in need of repair.

we just run a craft knife along the silicon and off it comes, we have done it to all thicknesses of glass from 3mm and up.

once the brace is of just give it a clean with some turps and it will be all good. :D

When I took the centre brace off my 3' tank I cut it in half first so I could move each half separately and that made it a heap easier. What you should do is get a couple of strips of glass cut so you can put 'euro-style' bracing on, then you'll be able to get the wood out again.

I got my filter today, so I have water in the tank, making sure it does leak etc etc. haha couldn't wait. It will be empty again once I get the tap fitting for one of those pumps that empties and fills the tank

What you should do is get a couple of strips of glass cut so you can put 'euro-style' bracing on, then you'll be able to get the wood out again.

Explain please :lol:

Don't know if this is any help... two years ago I had to remove a model ship from a display case that had been sealed shut (imagine a fish tank but with all six sides siliconed'). I used one those retractable/snap-off blade knife and a hair dryer. I simply ran the hair dryer slowly in front of the knife edge to soften the silicon before it was cut.

Stu :)