live food time!

Caryl

I use my daughter old blue plasatic shell pool from when she was small, so no fish so no problems.

Can't see how the larvae themselves would create such devastation, but I could imagine some pond water which is cold could bloom with all sorts of baddies when mixed with warm tank water, along with disease carry tadpoles.

I have a stock tank I use as a secondary pond in the same yard as the goldfish pond so if it gets contaminated, I am sure both will. That is where the mozzies breed. I feed them to my tropicals inside. Guess I could throw some into the goldfish too.

The neighbours' bedroom window is closer to it than I am so they will get bitten before me. Not had problems so far :wink:

If there are no fish in the pond the skeeters are coming from, then there is very little chance of their being parasites.

If there are fish in the pond there is very little chance of there being skeeters...

Did this person KNOW the parasite came via the live food, or guessed? What sort of parasite was it?

The neighbours' bedroom window is closer to it than I am so they will get bitten before me. Not had problems so far :wink:

the latter is because of the former!

yes daphnia also thrive on old fruit remains. and a true little 'FYI', if you've just eaten a banana, you are 3x more likely to get bitten by a mosquito :o :-? :x

never had a problem feeding mossie larvae for years either, but i always rinse it first.. the chlorine in tap water will help rid any nasties