fixing poly to the wall of the fish room

smcoleman

Can i suggest you wrap your poly with plastic before you attach it to the walls etc. This will stop mosture getting into the poly, once this happens the poly is useless as insultion.

Any holes you make need to be taped up to.

No more nails or most glues for that matter won't be any good. Screws or nails with plastci washers worked best for me. Bunnings had them, used for holding weed mat down.

Can i suggest you wrap your poly with plastic before you attach it to the walls etc. This will stop mosture getting into the poly, once this happens the poly is useless as insultion.

Any holes you make need to be taped up to.

No more nails or most glues for that matter won't be any good. Screws or nails with plastci washers worked best for me. Bunnings had them, used for holding weed mat down.

Umm sorry, I do not agree with the above statement.

why then do they not wrap expol, or do they not wrap the poly that is layed into concrete for insulation. water has no effect on poly!!!!

Fish bins are made of polystyrene, the get filled with water, yet the polys insulating characteristic does not change.

why do you think it is used for disposible cups.

Following extract taken from Expol website

www.expol.co.nz

Polystyrene Insulation has excellent thermal insulation properties essentially because it consists of mainly stabilised air.

It is a durable, non-irritating, inert organic material which will not rot and is highly resistant to mildew

No nutritive value to ants or rodents

Suffers little or no effect from water or water vapour. Even under the most adverse and rare conditions of total prolonged saturation it maintains its shape, size, structure, cohesion and physical appearance. The effect on the insulation value is minimal

The Expol stuff is a much higer density than standard poly sheets. Expol is also best used along with thick plastic on the ground under houses to limit mosture rising.

Concrete helps stop mosture getting in also.

Sorry don't know what you mean by fish bins...

disposible cups are just that disposible and can't be compared to walls of a fishroom or under floor insulation.

I have seen and worked in a number of fishrooms that have not had this done and work fine for a while but given time they become water logged.

IMO wrapping with plastic really makes a difference.

Hi

Std ploy is toxic when melts with fire..Had a big scare years ago when basement room got fire..Firebrigade said so toxic if were not up helping a friend with a sick dog we above would have all died...No question about it..

100mm ploy is the same as roof batts..And batts are a lot cheaper..

You have been here before,come and go over info on room..

124 tanks are heated in the worst of winter for $125 a month..

Also remember 5 tanks x 300watt heater is 1500w just like your electic jug..10 tanks is 3 kw and then maybe over loading power supply...Heat pump is by far the only way you can heat big area.......Phill

Also be aware that polystyrene will suck the plasticiser out of TPS cables(the flat White stuff used in household wiring) all it takes is some movement, the insulation cracks, a little h2o and its all on :evil:

I agree with Phill on this one, use batts and sleep well at night.

You can get non migrating TPS which is safe to use around polystyrene, but would cost more.

Alloy foil with vapor barrier..Usually White like plastic then Tempered hard board...Will not rot..And also seals out drafts..

Under all that in my roof i have 4 layers of bubble wrap..Even over 4 huge sky lights.

Rooms act like fire place..Air in say under door and out if there any small gaps in roof lining ..Just poly linning is just not good enough ,Still get big power bills...

Mine is high gable roof so just about impossible to seal so around doors etc are sealed with closed body sponge seal..

Poster will remember the room here..

An other problem is power must be protected by RCD Unit on mains and protects all down lines..Stops sparkes up your bum...Phill

lol yeah you're probably right there I do handle it with care though use a dust mask when cutting etc (apparently you're supposed to do this with all poly?).

I got it from a local insulation place I rung around asking for free poly.. They had stack loads of it and can't melt it down like they do to all the white poly because it was the fireproof stuff in it..