baby brine shrimp as food

Dave+Amy

I see people on this forum feed their frys BBS, just wanting to know if the frozen stuff is any good? Don't know if I'll have the time to hatch these and the frozen stuff looks easy enough.

Big tank is going through a mating frenzy stage with the fighter building his little bubble nest and prospective girls checking it out and the Cockatoos forever chasing the loaches away from their corner.

do the LPS sell decap? also - how much do you feed at once?

I got mine from blueandkim, not sure if its in pet shops.

I put some tank water in a container, then put a tiny amount (i use about 1/16th of a teaspoon) in and leave it for about 10 mins, then with a syringe get 3mls out and squirt in the water.

I've been feeding it to my guppies and they love it!

I've been peoples' contraptions of these - can't see much since they're immersed. Can someone describe in words how to make a hatching thing? I'm not too technically inclined..so it MAY be fun
go to the search function at top of page and put in brine shrimp hatchery

there has been some good threads on this subject

• 4 weeks later...

I agree, the hassle of hatching and then seperating all the brine shrimp out vs how much you will actually freeze make it not worth it.. I have just brought 500gms of de cap and it will last me a long time probably in the region of years and that is running quite a few baby tanks..

the main thing with BBS is that because its alive, the preditory instinct comes out and fry eat it because its moving.They get excited and want to eat.

I feed BBS twice a day and the fry grow a lot bigger and faster than with dead foods

I will be putting breeding dishes in this weekend with some fry that are 3 weeks old

Live food is normally far better it all depends on if you can be bothered. To me, my 47 tanks take about 30minutes morning and night to do but I choose to spend more time with them

What fry are you wanting it for?

All of my fry get bbs(as I believe they do better on it), but some fry like nob nose whip-tails, bristle nose can't get the swimming stuff easily so I add decap to there diet (and baby guppies as they will need feeding when I'm at work)

Hope your happy with the decap Ryan.

My fry see the frozen bbs being pushed around the tank and once they get one they eat the one ones that are sitting on the bottom as well as the ones being pushed around the tank. I don't know if my fry would eat the decap bbs so I've just kept to hatching it. Maybe when I'm finished the rest of the bbs egg things I'll try decap.