White worms

mumzy50

I have a problem.I have tons of white worm,but have problems getting them out to fed to my fish.I have tried putting glass on top of bread,picking them out.Sticking them in a net with dirt attached,but no luck.There must be an easier way.

i get a wee polly cup, half fill with water.

a pair of tweezers I quickly grab clumps of worms with them that cluster around the bread etc and wash them into the poly cup.

I then wait for them to settle at the bottom and pour most of the water off them and tweezer them and feed to the fish :)

No probs!

I feed lunchon sausage and have glass on top of it. Cover the container with a dark lid (the container should also be dark) then you will find the worms will come to the surface and feed on the lunchon.Lift the glass and the lunchon and there will be heaps of worms feeding. I just simply take a spoonfull and place it on a saucer under a light. The worms try to escape the light and heat and bury them selves under one another untill the dirt is left behind and can be blown or scraped off.

Dont get the worms too close to the heat as you dont want to burn/fry/kill them

I might try that Barrie.As im wondering if they are worth fiddling around with.I have a wooden box outside,which is thriving and one inside.I hardley touch them as i cant be bothered.I feed mine vege scrapes,breed,mash potato,porrage.

hey mumzy50 i've found the absolute easiest and best way is to wait till they're thriving ...have them (or a culture) in a small poly box and they'll climb the sides into the ceiling of the poly box. simply lift the lid and dip the lid right into your tank... no dirt, no hassles, LOTS OF WHITEWORMS.. yessssssss! :bounce:

They are on the lid to escape death. They do better in my view in a wooden box that can breath. Whiteworms, grindals and microworm produce water as a waste and so the media gets wetter. It does't worry the latter two but whiteworms don't like being too wet (or warm). Barrie is on to it. You can tell how healthy the colony is by the amount of small ones present. If not happy sex does not rear its ugly head and they are all large ones. You can seperate out the small ones (to feed to teenage fish or to put back to grow on) by puting them in a glass and filling it with water. You will see the big ones sink and the small ones take longer. With a bit of practice you can pour the small ones of and even adjust the size. Cheapscate's grindal worms.

they are honestly easy and a great source of food

PM me your email if you want and I will take a couple of photos and send them too you... if you need to see what I do

Hi, how about sharing those pics with the thread ? Im sure more people, including me, would find it interesting and useful :)

I murdered the grindals after about 6 goes at resurection. Some people at totaly tanked have the inside running so I may get on the bludge. Busy at the moment setting up for locusts, mealworms and waxworms and running out of room (along with partner's sense of humour).

Another alternative to seperating the worms from the dirt is to place a scoop of culture on a sieve, and shine a strong light from above. The heat and light will cause the worms to migrate to the bottom of the sieve, and eventually into the container below (provided the sieve has big enough gaps).

Some people also put cold water in the collecting container to encourage the movement to the coller area.

Never tried this before though, I just throw the worms in the tank dirt and all and then remove the debris at the next water change.

1st photo is not the best but we all know that they are white worms OK

th_IMG_4419.jpg

a box of white worms (thanks Alan)

Take a scoop and place on a plate. In this case I chose a spoonfull that was full of dirt but when its going well, you get almost no dirt at all

th_IMG_4422.jpg

hold under a light for a minute or so... not to close as fish dont like BBQ worms. Place the plate in light and the worms will all strugle to get away from the light and leave the dirt on top. This can be scraped off with ease or even blown away leaving a ball of worms almost clean.

th_IMG_4423.jpg

Easy