Breeding killies

Hi guys,

I'm really keen to get some Australe Golds to breed. Do they breed best in trios or pairs? I know they're mop spawners so whats the best thing to make a mop out of? Also would an 11 litre with a sponge filter be ok? and any other tips and advice would be appreciated.

Do they breed best in trios or pairs?

I breed them with pairs, trios and at times more. Some in the USA say that pairs are best as the spare females dont follow the spawning female through the mops and eat the eggs as they lay. Use thick mops and that will make it harder for the hungry ones to follow.

whats the best thing to make a mop out of?

make it out of synthetic wool... not natural wool as it will rot. Dont be supprised if the dye comes out but it dosnt seem to harm the fish

Also would an 11 litre with a sponge filter be ok?

yes

So what do I do with the eggs when harvesting them? How do I get the eggs off the mop and where do I put them? Do I put them in containers and if so where what size? Any tips would be appreciated.

you simply pick them off the mops with your fingers and place them in tank water with a drop of Meth Blue in it to help stop fungussing

I use a screw top container from Foodtown thats about 25 to 30 mm deep and about 100mm in dia. I fill half fill with water and float it on the tank

I can't wait to try this. It seems so cool going through the stages of picking the eggs and hatching them. I've been looking at how to hatch them and it seems really cool. Whats the best containers to use? As I think I'll need quite a few for hatching them if they can breed daily.

You could do either, I usually make them shorter and have one floating and one that sinks (tied to an old airstone).

My Dageti seem to like the ones on the bottom rather than the floating one!

I leave the mops in for a week or so, then either move the parents out of the tank and leave the mops in and hatch the eggs in the same tank, or move the mops into a smaller tank to hatch and raise the fry.

I might just do the full lenght one and then they can choose where abouts on it they want to breed. I want to keep the parent in the tank and then take the eggs out every day or when ever they breed. I just have to find some good containers to keep the eggs in. How long do they ussually take to hatch?

I've made a spawning mop it has 2 colours (black and a muddy brown) It's got 150 strands (I read that 100 was a good number but I only want to have 1 mop to check so I made it bigger). I may keep them in a 25ltr tank so they'll have a bigger home. I'm going to feed them bbs, flake and microworms to hopefully get them to have lots of eggs. Does this sound right? what else should I do?

What substrate do you use in a breeding tank, I've heard you use little to none as it makes another place for the killies to spawn?

Also what filtration should I use if I bred killies? The tank I would breed them in is a 22L AquaOne AR126 and most people know the build in hood filter sort of thing. Would this create to much water movement for the killies? If so how would I combat this?

Thanks

I'm going to use no substrate as I heard that just makes another place for them to breed. My setup is a bare bottom tank with a corner sponge filter and a spawning mop that is longer than the tank so it takes up the full length and then sits on the bottom. It also has a built on hood that has a light so they don't get out. My spawning mop is black and muddy brown (like I said in my other post). I don't know how powerful your filter is but so I'm not too sure if it will be too powerful.

yes bare bottom tanks make it easier to clean but if you want to you can have what ever on the bottom. If you dont want to be bothered with raising fry, heavily plant the tank makeing sure you use Java Moss so fry can hide and slowly fry will appare.

Cam

Mine love BBS but dont eat flake and find that Micros are a bit small for the adults. I feed mainly frozen blood worms and white worm. I do use Micros but for the fry in the first few days... if I can be bothered, if not I raise the fry on BBS almost entirely

Oh OK so they don't eat flake. How big are Australe golds ussually? I've read 5-7cm but sometimes the websites are wrong. Do they eat crushed flake or just no flake at all. Some of my fish never ate flake when I got them but the got the small bits and then they eventually ate the big bits and now thats all they eat.

a really big australe would be 50mm but they would normall be about 40 full grown.

I dont feed it much as Im a breeder and want mine to have plenty of fuel in the tanks, because of that they simply dont get to eat it and there fore dont like it

sweet 4cm is a good size for me. I remember reading (it may of been a post on this topic) that when breeding in trios the 2nd female sometimes eats the eggs so would breeding them in 2M 2F or 1M 1F better or should I just breed them in trios?