Breeding killies

What substrate do you use in a breeding tank, I've heard you use little to none as it makes another place for the killies to spawn?

Also what filtration should I use if I bred killies? The tank I would breed them in is a 22L AquaOne AR126 and most people know the build in hood filter sort of thing. Would this create to much water movement for the killies? If so how would I combat this?

Thanks

I would not use the filter that comes with the AquaOne for breeding, the main problem would be the fry getting sucked up the intake, even if you put something like a stocking or piece of filter wool over it, the suction may be too much for the fry and they may get stuck to the side of it.

Just don't plug it in and use a sponge filter in the corner with no substrate, this makes the tank easier to clean as well.

Cam, I use anything up to 4 females... especially with Nothos

The bigger the mop, the harder it is for other female to find and eat the eggs

I dont worry about it to be honest as I dont breed big numbers and only want enough to keep them ticking over

I was thinking about having 2M and 4F (2 trios) just incase a male dies then I'd have another one but I just don't think that they wouldn't fit in a 22-25ltr tank? Is this a good idea or should I just stick to 1 trio?

EDIT: also males look really cool 8)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so I'm hopefully getting 2 trios of them (2 M and 4 F). Just a quick question whats the best temp and PH for breeding them? I'm going to see what containers I can find to keep the eggs in but I'm not sure what to get. I'll probably keep the eggs in smaller containers and then move the fry into bigger containers once they hatch.Is it posible to keep all the fry that have hatched over the last 4-5 days in one container or do they start eating the smaller ones?

you may well be hopefull of getting 2 trios but not from me as I cant spare 2 trios.

Ive just sent a few to members and they get first choice and lets face it, the cost of $15 membership is cheap (if your a member of another club)

Yes BN will eat the eggs

22 to 25 cel is fine but they wont breed for a while as they are young

Yeah I know I was being hopeful :lol: :roll: . How long would it take to raise an egg to breedable age?

EDIT: they'd be fed lots (5-6) feedings of frozen bbs and maybe microworms a day if that makes any diffeence on how fast they grow

I just thought that I may get a pair or even a trio and then raise the eggs to breedable age and then just keep 2 trios in the end but wasn't sure how long it takes till they can breed. Is there a size that you find they ussually breed at or is it just when they feel like it :lol: 8)

Ok I'm going to set the tank up tommorrow. It'll be my 28ltr with the sponge filter. It won't be filled right up just incase they jump even though it has a lid I'm still worried that they'll get out. Does anyone know how high they can jump? It'll have a huge mop and the temp will be at about 24 degress and I'll take the BN out. Is there anything I've missed before I set it up.

It's one of those tanks that have a built on lid and hasn't got any gaps (except for a hole on the back thats about 10mm by 5mm where airtube goes in and it's blocked with airtube) but it has a plastic condensation (sp?) plate that has gaps for feeding them and where the gap for the heater top of the pops out (but the heater isn't tall enough so it's just a big hole :roll: ). I was just worried that they'd jump out one of the holes in the condensation plate and then sit on top of it and cook under the light. maybe I should just take the plate out so they deffinately can't get out and die.

Hi guys,

I just had an idea 8) , I thought about keeping the eggs in the containers but keep in in the hot water cupboard (I've just put a container of water with a thermometer to see how hot it is). Do you guys think this will work? I thought it would pretty much be the same as a heated fish room. Is the light the thing that causes the eggs to fungus as if it is I thought this would be better as it would better than keeping them in the tank as theres not much if any light in the cupboard. What do you guys think? I'd move the fry into bigger containers as they hatched that would go in the tank but I thought that this would work better (also having containers floating in the tanks would be a bit annoying while feed, water changes and all that).

I putnit right by the heater and it got to around 25. So this should be alright. Is it ok to keep like a weeks worth of eggs in those chinese takeaway containers?