First look at the new setup

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seriously recommend you buy a copy of this book via amazon.com then.....

http://www.amazon.com/gp/reader/1890087041/ref=sib_dp_pt/103-7837875-1014260#reader-link

cost me about NZD$50 and it is a great book. while there is a lot of information on the web, and I am sure you could get it topgether without this book, I think that its a small price to pay to have it all done for you in one place.....

As an aside, all the aurthers breeding is done with anemones....

sure Pies I bring it down to WGTN next time I am down.

this lot will make good food source for the tank....... in the book i think it says that only 1 out of 40,000 clownfish babies make it in the wild! This is all it takes to keep the population going.

but that hatch and survival rates in tank can be 70% + with experience.....

not if you read the book IRA

it cautions against trying to make money by breeding... there is a LOT of time involved and they do not like missing feeds, or water maint not being done.........

says at best you will probably cover your own hobby costs and its easy to saturate the local market....... whats the market for clowns in NZ anyway per year..... I would have though around 300-400 across all NZ... say 300 in akl across 3 shops 2 per week.

I think if you want to cover hobby costs then import, that way you have less feeding/losses issues and can meet the market in any spicies.

in time if they ban collection etc it may be a totally different proposition.

Peter

Well the last of the clownfish babies went last night, about 2mm long, no color just opaque/silver.

Chromas can actually be quite stunning fish under the right light:

piesbluechromas270205.jpg

Love the Blue Tang:

piesbluetang270205.jpg

This Acropora colony is hidden away and until it grows larger this is the only way I can see it! Things like this are possilbe with larger tanks:

piesnicehiddenacro270205.jpg

Just a look down the length of the tank showing contrasting colours:

piesreefscape2270205.jpg

3 Tangs working together accross the top of the 'reef' in search of food. There are 4 tangs in the tank and them seem to enjoy schooling together:

piestangteam2270205.jpg

Plans for the next few weeks? First off I have another 15kg of sand to add to the tank, may do this today. Adding another 400 watt light is definatly going to happen. Lighting will be 20k-10k-20k-10k-20k + T5s. See how things go with a burst of white on the tank. This light will only be for 3-4hrs a day max "high noon' period. Getting the collar made and installed before the end of March is also a priority. I also need to buy 2m of 40mm pressure piping to finish off the return pump and make it 40mm the whole way.

So a few minor things planed buy mostly be leaving it alone.

Pie

Pies

Well the tank is going really well. Got home late last night and watched the boxing shrimp spawn again, the tank was loaded with little shrimp about 1mm long. I suspect they are all dead now.

The tanks size is having a positive effect on the animals, as is the low fish stocking levels and little intervention from me. I try and have my hands in the tank no more than once every 2 weeks. I think this is making a huge difference.

Did some water tests last night as well:

PH 8.3 (pinpoint)

Calcium 420 (salifert)

Mg 1320 (salifert)

Alk 8.2 (salifert)

Nitrate 0 (salifert)

Phosphate 0 (salifert)

I have a small deadspot at the front left of the tank, and notice that I get poo buildup, forcing me to syphon it out every 2-3 weeks. Not a big deal but a little unsightly. I going to try and reposition some streams to get some current into that corner.

Also going to add another 400 watter. Really happy with the 20k bulbs, but could do with more light, the 20ks just don't provide enough light. So going to mix it up with a couple of 10ks as well. I miss the bright daylight effect, even though the deep water effect is nice, more light is essential.

Pie

Thanks Peter, looking foward to seeing you again, when will you next be down?

It is starting to look good, am slowly becomming more and more happy with it. Slowly tweaking things out, but overall the effect is great and hard to belive how great its starting to look. Acros are growing, softies are growing and the fish are happy.

One thing I don't like is the bird nose wrasse in my sump that was given to me from an unwanted home. If anyone wants one of these fish, please come visit and take it, free to a good home. Great fish, excellent personality, just not part of my plan.

I am also really happy about my decision to feed little. I have recieved a few raised eyebrows over it and have had second thoughts myself. Especially given that others feed so much more than I do. So its been good to see the shrimps spawn, clownfish spawn and all the fish looking so healthy and active. I am now more confident than ever that my feeding routine is OK, if it wasn't I assume I would see a negitive effect on the animals in the tank, which I dont.

I also added the extra 15kg of sand the other day, I think the sand volume is about right now (2inch deep) and looks good. Can't image adding much more, but hard to know until its all setteled.

Pie

I think the number of eggs as about the same, maybee slightly more hard to tell. I did notice that over time they slowly dissapear, and at hatching time there were maybee 1/3 less than what started out.

I would love to bring some up, but it sounds like such hard work. Once I read that book I will borrow of Pete i'll re-assess.

Anyone want to buy some clowns on 2006? :)

Pie

A few things done to the tank today. First off it was re-plumb the return pump. I had a bit of 'ghetto' plumbing happening down stairs and really needed to do it. I wasn't particualry motivated though as I also needed to level the floor with the tank on it! Long story, but basicaly the level accross the from of the tank was about 1cm off along the lengh of the tank (2140mm) and at one end the water would rise high enough to touch the brace bar.

So Suphew poped over with his handly bag of tools, including a 2 ton jack, and we got to packing up the floor and fixing the plumbing.

This shows how things are now. Part of the plan was always for 'clear and tidy', so this is no fuss plumbing. All plumbing depicted is 40mm with an IWAKI 100 powering the tank. Eventually the sump will sit in this corner of the garage and I won't have to pump accross the whole garage, but that is 6+ months away, so have to make do with what I have.

pumpsetc060305.jpg

Same pic different angle. Some people have asked why the tap is half way up the pipe, not down at the pump. Ita a good question and the taps position requires me to use a few more fittings, so more dollar and small degration to the pumps performance. The reason its half way up also has nothing to do with convieniance, although it is easy to reach! It because to get the pipe upstairs through the hole in the floor, I couldn't get it up there if it was any longer! So I had cut it and thread it though and then join it, so I thought, well might as well join it with a tap!

sumproom1060305.jpg

Extra strength floors. This pic showing the extra beams put into place, and the packers (a big deal to those of us who worked on it) helping level the floor. Strong as an Ox :)

extrastrength060305.jpg

So some big tasks out of the way. I am stoked with the results. The tank is almost perfectly level. Also now the extra flow from the pump has killed my dead spot in the front left of the tank! This was my biggest dissapointment so far, and its good to know that I don't have to do anything about it!

I also added the extra 15kg of sand into the tank a few days ago. The sand coverage is much more cosistant now, with now 'bald spots' visible. I may still add another 5-10kg yet, but no need right now. I suspect it will become nessessary as the sand is pushed towards the back of the tank though.

I also recived my 5th 400 ballast and lead. So need to find a bulb and get the extra light running on the tank.

The standpipe is making a little more noise now that the water volume has increased, so I need to get that sorted at some stage. Probably wait until the next time I have the lights off.

Also took the opertunity today to do a 105 litre water change with my reserve water during the days activities.

Thanks very much to Suphew and Ralph for helping out, I appreciate your time and efforts. Cheers.

Pies

My Fungia corals spawned on Saturday. They opened their mouths and expelled what looked like smoke, 2 of the 4 did this. From what I could find online it looks like I have at least 2 make fungias, unknows about the other 2. Very exciting in the tank at the moment with lots of spawning and other encouraging events happening, I take it as a sign that I must be doing something right :)

Pies

200 litre water change today, all went well.

Clowfish fry relased last night, I wounder how long before the next lot are laid.

Other than that, looking for a bulb for my 5th halide, anyone know where I can get 10k 400MHs from?

Everything is going very well, not much more to report.

Pies

Early on in the week my Blue Tang was having a fit because he though he was going to get fed. Part of his fit was to try and splash water out of the tank, which he tried. The water hit the bulb and cracked the glass. This bulb is 2.5 months old, what a waste of a Radium 20k 400 watter:

deadradiumbulb.jpg

Added another light to the tank, so am now running 5 400 watt bulbs, 20k (radium) 14k (Narva) 20k 14k 20k. Theere is no visiable difference between the Narva 14k and the Radium Blue (20k?) bulbs.

A nice frag starting to find colour and a bit of growth:

nicefrag.jpg

My standpipe is a bit noisey as I had it too short. No problem, went to lengthen in in the weekend. Suphew arrived for a coffee unannounced and watched me dump about 250 litres of water into the garge floor! Opps. Suphew and I (thanks mate) spent the day collecting water, and clearing up a mess. Jane also tidied part of the garge to avoid too much damage. Having the sump down stairs is such a good idea, glad the water went straight out the garage and not onto the lounge carpet. So a drama but not a big problem, good excuse for a water change anyway :)

My boxing shrimp have spawned again last night, took some photos for anyone interested.

This is the typical stance, with the female above the make while the female release the young, the male stands gaurd:

2shrimpsspawning2.jpg

2shrimpsspawning.jpg

This is the mother shrimp with massive visible load of young:

mummyshrimp.jpg

Again a good photo showing how many eggs she carries in proportion to her own size:

mummyshrimplotsofeggs.jpg

You can actually see the little eyes of the babies the day the release. Like clowfish babies this seems to be the sign, if you can make out the eyes they are about to be release. Happens about 4 hrs after lights off.

whitesofthebabyshrimpeyes.jpg

Pies