First look at the new setup

Pies

Well as you all know I am planing a new tank for the new house. One of the more important tasks that needs to be addressed prior to the tanks arival is the issue of floor strength.

The new tank will weigh close to 2 tons, and although we didn't see an issue with the floor holding the weight, we felt it was important to be sure. So that being said we embarked on a floor strengthening plan.

This is what we ended up with:

Chris & tim putting the frame into place:

sumproom.jpg

The final frame, supporting the cealing via the uprights sitting on the concrete floors of the garage.

finishedandprimed.jpg

Although it may not have been nessessary, we felt it was important to be certain. We are now confident that the floors are sufficiently reinforced and can continue with the rest of the project.

For those of you interested, here is a pic of the reef 'as is' at the moment. Setup temp in the garage, oposite where the frame above is located.

tankasis.jpg

Pies

• Replies 559
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just in case aye :wink: I don't think your tank will be going anywhere if that iron I beam has any say in the matter! Has the tank been built yet? How did you go with tracking down the low iron glass you wanted?

I started updating my site with some info on my aquarium controller on Sunday, I'll post some pics of it tonight hopefully.

Layton

No joy with the clear glass. Bottom line, I didn't see it being worth the additional cost of $1200, which is what it was going to cost to do the front and 1 side in it. There was also an issue with the glass having a lower saftey factor than normal glass. I am already on the verge of my glass saftey factor for 12mm, didn't want to push it any more. Money scared me more than anything else.

As for the beam, yeah if the tank was sitting on it I would have had no problems, but it actually sits about 3 inches to the right of it, and there was no way for me to extend the tank without putting it in front of a window.

Pies

• 2 months later...

Probably the biggest update to add is that I need to rob some form of bank or small country to continue... This has been an expensive year, new house, new job, 5 weeks over seas, blown car engine, new home theartre room at home, sick pets etc...

Right glad to get that of my chest...

Updates will come in as soon as I have something to show. Currently the tank is built and finished. The cabinet has been started and should be finished in the next week.

As soon as I have pictures I will post.

I really want to get my website hosted so I can drown you all in pics. Anyone got some cheap/free web hosting?

Piemania

Here are a couple of quick snaps of the tank to give you an idea of its size. I hope to have it in my home by the end of October. The tank just needs the bracing done but I am waiting on the cabinet to be completed, which in all likley hood is going to take a few more weeks. Which is fine for me an in no rush.

piemanstank1.jpg

piemanstank2.jpg

Pies

PS: Sorry for the bad photos, taken with my phone.

• 4 weeks later...

Well went and had a look at the tank progress today. Should ALL be finished tommorow on Monday and be in my house next weekend.

Here is the first glimpse of the tanks cabinet. 4.5mm steel box frame and heart rimu. There will be 2 sets of 2 doors in the front.

piemannewtank1.jpg

A picture of the inside of the cabinet. Showing the steel frame and reinforcing. Also not the tank bottom of the cabinet has a floor, this is to act as a drip tray to ensure that no water can spill from the holes in the bottom (3x closed loop pumps) into the lounge, but will fall back to the sump via a 'drainhole'. Must save the house.

piemannewtank2.jpg

Peter from Port Nicholson Glass working away. Peter has done an outstanding job on both the tank and the cabinet and I am more than impressed with how everything is working out.

piemannewtank3.jpg

The final glass braces are being glued onto the top of the tank, all made from 15mm glass for a little extra help. Note the 2ft fishtank in the foreground to show scale. The center brace will actually be made from stainless steel rods (x2) for extra support. We have had the last tank pop its centre brace and its not something we want to happen again. This will also prove an area strong enough to rest tools, small buckets etc on without the worry of breaking the glass.

piemannewtank4.jpg

So next photos should show the tank being moved into the lounge.

Pies

There are 7 holes in total.

3 sets of 2 for closed loops. Each pair has one 25mm hole (inlet) and one 20mm hole (outlet). The reasoning behind the 2 different size holes it to increase pressure for the outlet (higher power because smaller hole) and to reduce the chance of cavitations. This is where the pump is pushing more water than its sucking in, causing air bubbles (micro bubbles). I've had this before and its really frustrating. This can now not happen. The closed loop plumbing inside the tank will also provie support for 'reef racks' to help increase circulation without being visible. Closed loops should total about 11,000 litres an hr of water flow.

The last hole is a 40mm single outlet to drain the tank into the sump. This will feed straight down into the sump. I hope its big enough to handle the pump I want to put on it!

Inlets will be handeled by 2 3/4inch Sea Swirls. I was so happy with these things on my last tank I knew I would want to use them again. These will be drived from the sump by (i hope) an IWAKI 100 or similar. I still havn't sourced a pump yet (its a money thing).

Additional water movement will be provided by TUNZE STREAM circulation pumps (3x currently) and TUNZE TERBELLE power heads (x2 not sure if they will make it into the tank or not yet.

Pieman

A few updated pics. The tank & cabinet will be delivered this Saturday, I expect the 'boys' over as part of the moving crew, followed by BBQ lunch and a few beers.

Another tank photo, now the the back and right hand side have been painted. Note the tank in the front is a 3foot tank provided for scale.

piestank3foot1.jpg

The cabinet is almost finished, the doors are on, all thats left is the 'tray' needs sealing, latches on the doors and handles for the doors. And a few more coats of linseed oil.

piestankcabinetalmostfinished1.jpg

Center brace. This is a bit of a radical departure for the tank design. Because the tank is over 7 feet long, the use of a center brace is a give in. However anyone with a tank and center brace knows how much a pain it is to have a big bit of glass across the middle of the tank. It gets dirty and manky and there is always the fear of breaking it. So i opted for a steel (marine grade, sealed) brace bars. This will provide ample strength for the tank center, as well as a 'clear space' for the lights to be uneffected by the center brace (carfull design for placement). It is also strong enough that I can rest a cutting board or bucked on top of it without fear, so it becomes a bit of a work bench for the top of the tank too.

piestanksteelbraces1.jpg

So this weekend its move the tank.

A big thanks to everyone who has offered to help me move it in, everyone who I need to help move the tank in has been contacted. However if you want to comeover and see it and help out, feel free, we will be fireing up the BBQ at lunch time.

Pie

nice work bro! keep the pic's coming and keep us updated on progress. looking to take some more hints from your setup and apply them to mine (which is all on hold because of the money and time thing - holiday and house rennovations have taken priority lately!)

Well the tank and cabinet is finished, got the call today. So a 10am delivery is confirmed.

A setback (bad planning on my part). The cabinet will not fit through the ranchslider even with the door removed. because the cabinet is higher than the tank (700 vs. 980) turning the tank on the side will get it through, not the cabinet?

So on Sat morning I have a crane comming to my house to lift the cabinet through a window (that will need removing) on the 1st floor! So expect some exciting crane tank action.

Its a bit of a hastle I didn't need, but still, this weekend, the tank will be in its final resting place. YAY.

Pie

:hail::hail::hail: Pies

:oops:

Hate it when that happens.

I am just trying to get building permit install a 20ft insulated container into my back yard...

will need a huge sky hook, approx $600 to have it lifted into place.... but no other way to get it in. Its a very quick way to get something up and running tho.

It will make a way cool fish room however.

Going to run a trademe air con for room heating/cooling and then titanium heaters..... tho with HQI lighting, expect to cooling may be more important then heating.

OK well Wellington put on a typical day for us, so it was cold windy and raining for the tank and cabinet move...

First of a big thaks to EVERYONE who helped out, couldn't have done it without the help and support of my friends. Thanks guys (and gals) I appreciate it very much.

The crane arrives. There must have been about 1 inch of space on either side of the driveway for the guy to fit the truck down the driveway! He just backed in and stright down, didn't slow him down, didn't think it was very tricky at all! Good work Hank & thanks for the lift!

piestankmove1.jpg

Had to pop the window out, which thanks to Peter from Port Nicholson Glass was very little drama, shame about the weather!

piestankmove2.jpg

Crane that bad boy through there. I was dreading this part of the move, but in the end it took about 3 minutes and couldn't have been any easier.

piestankmove6.jpg

9 People to move the tank about, and it was still heavy.

piestankmove5.jpg

The tank needed to be on its side to fit through the doorway.

piestankmove4.jpg

Tank weight estimated at 290kg, but some how seemed heavier. 8 people on the tank, could have used more but there just wasn't enough room. Words cannot describe how heavy and awkward (and scarey and dangerous) it was. We almost lost a pair of fingers poping it into the cabinet.

piestankmove3.jpg

Easy now, easy, careful...

piestankmove7.jpg

A bit of dispute on how to prepare the cabinet for the tank. This was by far the most awkward and difficult task we faced. Got it all done nice and easy in the end, but someone just about got there hand crushed, but other than that, fairly straight foward.

piestankmove8.jpg

Just need to put the tank on there and its sorted.

piestankmove9.jpg

So its all done an in place! Still a lot of work to do in regards to plumbing, floor strength etc, but a real milestone today, actually having the tank (the next milestone is paying for it :).

The cabinet looks awesome in the spot we put it, the floor looks great, and with my new ceiling lights and painted ceiling the room looks great, although it seems to have shrunk drastically over the last few hours.

Again my thanks to everyone who has helped me get to this point. We had a great turnout for the BBQ and it was good to cathup with everyone.

More pictures to come...

Pies

This tank is going to be a coral reef garden type setup, with a focus on stone coral, but will have a small number of soft corals, gorgonians, zooanthids and anemones.

The stuff downstairs is doing fine, if not in survival mode. The 2 saltwater tanks downstairs merge into the one tank upstairs. The smaller of the 2 tanks has been 'sold' to a local fellow reefer & the existing 5 footer (740 litre, will become the sump for the new tank.

Pies